Do you fear that your loved one is addicted to drugs or alcohol but afraid to say anything to them? Are you hoping that if they are dealing with substance abuse issues, it's just a phase they're going through? Do you assume that they will overcome it on their own? If so, you might be enabling them. While many believe that enabling an addict only occurs if you are offering them drugs or alcohol, that's not usually the case. Loved ones enable addicts in more ways than they could possibly imagine. You feel loyal to this person and hope to make things easier by covering for them or giving them money when they're in a pinch. You feel like doing this protects them. Unfortunately, it's enabling their addiction. You're also essentially denying to yourself that they even have a problem.
Am I Enabling an Addict?
Below, you'll find several questions that you might want to ask yourself. They might help you recognize a loved one is using drugs or alcohol to the point of addiction. In addition, you might even realize that you're enabling them to do so.
Questions to Ask Yourself | Drug Rehab in Charlotte NC
- Are you always trying to keep the peace at home or when dealing with your loved one?
- Are you avoiding conflict in hopes that you'll keep them from using drugs or alcohol as a coping mechanism?
- Are you minimizing the overall situation?
- Have you continued to believe that the situation will eventually get better?
- Are you always having to blame the addict for something?
- Do you criticize their actions or behaviors regularly?
- Are you taking on their daily responsibilities instead of making them do it?
- Have you found yourself picking up their slack?
- Are you constantly trying to shield them from pain?
For more information to help you decide whether or not you're enabling a loved one during their time of need, visit back with our blog soon.
If you, or someone you know, are suffering from a substance abuse problem, it's time to get help. While it’s easy to believe that you are alone in this struggle that is the farthest thing from the truth. There are numerous people dealing with addiction in the world. Regardless of how bad drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available. Contact Legacy Freedom if you need drug rehab in Charlotte NC. We are here to help you get back on track to a healthier, happier life.