We all know smoking is bad for us. However, it doesn’t keep it from being a popular habit. Because it can cause serious damage to our bodies, it’s important to consider quitting. Even those have been smoking for years and already have damage have trouble with the idea of no longer smoking. Unfortunately, there are a few diseases that smoking can cause. The following information should help you better understand why smoking is so detrimental and possibly give you reason to quit. For the best nicotine or drug treatment in Asheville NC, Legacy can help. Call today to learn more.
- Lung cancer is a fatal disease that kills more people than any other type of cancer. Smoking is the leading cause of lung cancer. Almost 90% of all deaths due to lung cancer is directly related to smoking. Those who have been diagnosed typically have less than five years of life left.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is another leading disease caused by smoking. Also known as COPD, this disease is a long-term issue that can result in an early death. Because it makes it difficult to breathe, COPD can leave those suffering unable to live life normally. Walking upstairs can be an exhausting task. Every day, physical activity is difficult. Around 80 percent of COPD caused by smoking. The third leading cause of death in the United States is this disease.
- Long-term smoking can lead to narrowing of arteries, less blood and oxygen flow to the heart come as well as artery blockage. Unfortunately, smoking can seriously damage your heart, leading to heart disease. Heart disease is the number one cause of death in the United States.
- Those who have not yet developed COPD might find themselves suffering from asthma long before they’re diagnosed with COPD. Asthma can cause issues that restrict breathing. It can cause severe asthma attacks that come on suddenly. Cigarette smoke irritates the passage ways of your lungs. That means air cannot move freely can cause issues that restrict breathing. cause severe asthma attacks that come on suddenly. Cigarette smoke irritates the passageways of your lungs. That means air cannot move freely. When Asthma is an issue, smoking makes it much worse.
- Smoking can also cause serious problems with fertility. It not only reduces fertility but also causes issues with reproductive organs.
- Women who are pregnant and continue to smoke without concern can cause issues with their unborn babies. They can be at risk for a premature birth, low birth weight and increased health issues. In worst cases, death can occur.
- Those that smoke are more susceptible to type two diabetes. This disease risk is almost 50% higher and those who smoke versus those who don’t.
- Macular degeneration is an issue that can damage your eyes and in some cases cause blindness. Smoking can be a cause of blindness in those aged 65 and older.
- In addition to lung cancer, smoking can cause various other types, as well. Smokers can develop liver, pancreatic, stomach, colon and cervix cancers. Typically, these cancers are a secondary primary, in addition to lung cancer. However, these cancers can also become a primary, as well.
- Some people are under the impression that smokers who do not inhale are not at risk for these diseases. However, anytime smoke from cigarettes, cigars or pipes touches living cells or is inhaled, second hand, The risk of cancer and other issues as possible. That means smoke from cigarettes, cigars or pipes should be avoided at all cost.
We know how hard it is to quit smoking. On the other hand, quitting is essential for health and life. If you or someone you know can't stop smoking, consider the diseases that this habit can cause. Also, consider rehab to help you quit. You might think that smoking isn't a serious enough addiction to warrant treatment. However, it is. Any type of addiction can be treated in a way that helps the addict break away from substance abuse. Nicotine is considered a toxic substance. If you're interested in learning more about rehabilitation for smoking, contact us now.
Best Nicotine and Drug Treatment in Asheville NC
Sometimes, professional treatment or drug rehab is the only way to rise above addiction and heroin use. Legacy Freedom of Asheville offers tailored treatments that help the direct needs of each of our patients. Support structures are a vital part of all recovery ventures. Several of our therapies occur in a group setting, surrounding you with the support you need to get back on the right path. It’s important to consider getting help, especially during the turn of the season, when you aren’t sure how the weather might affect your recovery.
If you, or someone you know, are suffering from a substance abuse problem, it's time to get drug treatment. While it’s easy to believe that you are alone in this struggle, that is the farthest thing from the truth. There are numerous people dealing with addiction in the world, and right here in Asheville.
Regardless of how bad drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available in 2018. Contact Legacy Freedom for alcohol and drug treatment in Asheville NC that you can trust. We are here to help you get back on track to a healthier, happier life this year!