Do you find yourself bored, sad, or lonely this time of year? If so, you're not alone. Many people suffer from seasonal affective disorder or find that this time year brings about thoughts of relapse or triggers. In our previous blog post we talked about ways you can keep yourself busy this time of year. There are so many things that are great for staying active and happy. Whether you spend money or keep to a tight budget, you'll find something great that will keep your mind off the time of year! Below, you'll find a few more ideas. Did you know Legacy Freedom is a highly rated Asheville alcohol rehab center? Call today to learn more.
- Decorate your home with lights and décor for Valentine’s Day! Have friends and family over for a heart party. Make sure it’s a sober one with delicious treats and fun games. You might even want to consider having a cookie baking party. We know these are popular at Christmas, but they can also be great for Valentine’s Day too!
- Have a Super Bowl party. With football coming to an end this time of year, the Super Bowl is near! Invite sober friends and family to the big event. Have the game playing and tons of snacks. You can invite guests to bring their favorite finger foods and non-alcoholic drinks, as well!
- Mail handwritten cards to friends or family. Especially if you haven’t talked to them in a while, take time to write them a quick note. You’ll love the feeling you get from writing down a few nice words. Even better, you may get a return note, as well. This will give you something to look forward to!
- Spend time outdoors. Whether you choose to go skiing, ice skating, or take a walk-in nature, spend some time outside, no matter how cold it is. Just be sure to bundle up!
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen. This is a great way to make sure you’re staying active during this time of year. It’s easy to find yourself in a depressed, sad mood during winter. Volunteering will help you stay busy and make you feel good about helping others that are in need.
- Start a journal. This might seem dull or boring, but all it takes is a bit of effort and a positive mindset. You'll be amazed at how well you respond to writing things down in a journal. You can write about so many different things. Jot down a list of things you'd like to accomplish this year. Begin making notes about things that make you happy. Write a paragraph or two about how your day went. A journal can be so many different things. You don't have to stick to the rules of typical journal topics. You can even do a 30 day journal challenge that you find online. This challenge will help you come up with ideas to write about each and every day!
- Call someone on the phone. How long has it been since you've had a good, meaningful conversation over the phone? Probably not recently. With today's social media options, texting, and email, it's doubtful you talk to friends or family much over the phone. Call someone new once or twice a week and have a good conversation!
- Take up meditation. Meditation has a multitude of health benefits. Meditation can increase the activity as well as the size of your brain. It’s been proven that after just 8 weeks of regular meditation sessions, positive changes in the brain can be noted. Did you know that our Asheville alcohol rehab center can help you with mediation techniques? Call now to learn more.
- Take up cooking. Do you eat out all the time? Are you tired of the same old dishes you've been preparing for years? If so, start branching out with new meals. Find a cookbook you love or start visiting food blogs that offer new and exciting recipes. You'll find that cooking can become a new hobby. Invite a friend or family over for new recipes that you've decided to try. See how they like them. You might also find that you can start revamping old dishes into improved ones as you begin your new journey into cooking.
We hope these ideas give you a break from feeling bored, sad, or depressed this winter. If you're looking forward to summer, just remember that this time of year can be fun and exciting, as well. You just have to think outside the box a little to find a few ways to stay active!
The Best Asheville Alcohol Rehab Center for 2018
Suffering from addiction? Please contact Legacy of Asheville to learn more about our alternative Asheville alcohol rehab center.
We are here to help you get back on track to a happy, healthy life. You'll find the following alternative, holistic treatment programs are geared toward helping individuals cope with substance abuse:
- Adventure Therapy
- Acupuncture Therapy
- Chemical Dependency
- Equine Assisted
- EMDR Therapy
- Inner Child
- Life/Purpose Coaching
- Meditation Therapy
- Nutritional Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Sound Therapy
- Tai Chi
Accepting that you need help with addiction can be difficult. Often, those suffering blame themselves for their situation and rarely believe that they can be helped. Feeling helpless and hopeless is a common problem with substance abuse issues. However, accepting help is the first step in the right direction. Know that whatever it is that's causing your addiction, our alcohol and drug treatment in Asheville NC can help. Holistic, alternative therapy is here for you. All you have to do is acknowledge that you need it. Then, we will help you detox, find the root cause of substance abuse and recover.
Did you know that at our Asheville alcohol rehab center and drug treatment facility that we’re not a one-size-fits-all rehab facility? We provide group and individual counseling, Medication-Assisted-Treatment and alternative therapies. Our Medication-Assisted-Treatment (MAT) Program is for adults struggling with opiate addiction. It is offered in combination with our proven intensive outpatient groups and counseling for substance abuse. By offering day and evening hours, we can accommodate most schedules. Call now to learn more.