The National Institute for Mental Health estimates that there are more than 42 million Americans suffering from some sort of mental health disorders. With medical costs sky rocketing, many people are turning to holistic approaches to treat their mental health problems. According to the same study, it is estimated that at least 18 percent of all adults with a mental illness have tried some sort of mental health therapy and quit. Their reason for leaving therapy? Many felt their treatment didn’t meet all of their needs.
At Legacy Freedom, we work with our patients to create a customized care plan that blends traditional therapies with alternative therapies like acupuncture, adventure therapy or sound therapy. This allows us to treat the whole person, not just their mental illness. Together with our team of dietitians, clinicians and therapists in Raleigh, NC, we can help you take a holistic approach to your mental health care needs.
What is the holistic approach?
The holistic approach views and treats the person as a whole. It looks at their physical, mental and spiritual problems, and how the three affect each other. All aspects of your life are examined and addressed to give you the opportunity to achieve whole-self recovery.
Holistic medicine is often used in conjunction with conventional medicine to give the patient the best chance of success. A holistic medical practice embraces a variety of safe, effective options in the treatment and prevention of diseases.
Types of holistic healing
- Therapy- Group or individual therapy for people suffering from depression, PTSD, anxiety and other mental health disorders.
- Acupuncture- Small needles are placed in key spots on the body to improve circulation and well-being, and reduce depression and anxiety.
- Acupressure – Used for aches and pains like injuries, menstrual cramps, and arthritis.
- Alexander technique – The idea is to change movement or habits in your everyday activities, thus improving your core, balance and coordination. It promotes energy and freedom of movement within the body.
- Breathing exercises- Training your body to take long deep breaths and short fast breaths. This improves blood circulation, concentration and sparks spontaneous healing potential. It is also a good practice for people who suffer from anxiety as they can learn to control their breathing.
- Chiropractic – They focus on the spine and human bones. Misalignments can cause pain and discomfort. This could be because of trauma or bad posture. All this misalignment can keep you from functioning properly.
- Cupping – Traditional Chinese medical technique which applies suction to the aching parts of the body with ceramic or bamboo cups to increase the regional circulation and promote healing.
These are only a few of the many holistic treatments that have been used to successfully treat patients. If you are unsure which therapy would be the best for you, or if you are overwhelmed with options, talk to your therapist about what interests you and what you feel would best suit your needs.
Dependable Therapists in Raleigh, NC | Holistic Help At Legacy
At Legacy Freedom, our therapists in Raleigh, NC believes that treating the whole person is essential for optimum well-being. We utilize life coaches, personal trainers, therapists and clinicians to create a care team unlike any you will find anywhere else. Choosing to treat your mental illness holistically allows you to not only improve your mental health but your physical well-being as well.
Whether you are newly diagnosed or have tried traditional approaches to mental health and left because you felt unsatisfied, we are here to help. Our professional and dedicated staff is ready to help you live your best life. Give us a call at our Raleligh NC office and schedule your appointment today! Your best life awaits!