Welcome back to our continuing look at weather anxiety. The late summer storms across the country gain intensity as summer draws to a close. For many, this is a source of much anxiety. In our previous post, we examined the signs and symptoms of weather anxiety and shared a few tips on how to manage anxiety during a severe weather event.
In today's post, we'll be taking a more in depth look at how you can weather the storm before, during, and after a weather event with less anxiety. If you need to speak with a counselor in Columbus, OH about an anxiety problem, call Legacy!
Before the Storm
- Avoid the panic and rush when severe weather strikes by preparing yourself and your home ahead of time.
- Make a severe weather kit. Include flashlights, a portable radio, water and a few doses of any required medications.
- Stay weather aware. If you know severe weather is possible, prep the exterior of your home ahead of time. Store lawn furniture, move plants indoors and bring pets inside.
- Accept that the weather is out of your control. If you have prepared for the severe weather to the best of your ability, there is little left for you to do.
- Share your concerns with friends and family. Talk to them about what you are concerned about and listen to their reassurances.
During the Storm
- Remain calm. Listen to updates and follow instructions for safety.
- Practice calming behaviors like deep breathing or meditation.
- Remind yourself that catastrophic storms are rare and that this storm will pass quickly.
After the Storm
- Connect with friends and family and talk about how you're feeling.
- Find something fun to do like go for a walk or see a movie.
- Return to your normal routine.
- Store your preparedness materials for the next time.
- Limit exposure to news related to the storm.
If you find that you are still struggling with anxious feelings or obsessive thoughts about the storm after it's over, it's time to seek help for those feelings. At Legacy Freedom of Columbus, we understand that everyone reacts to these situations in different ways. For some people, a severe storm is a minor inconvenience, for others, it is the source of much anxiety and stress.
A Counselor in Columbus, OH You Can Trust
At Legacy, we have a counselor in Columbus, OH that specializes in managing anxiety disorders. Our experienced staff knows that anxiety can ruin your life if left untreated. What starts as a panic attack from a tornado warning can quickly evolve into something much more severe and life altering. We want to help you take back control and teach you coping mechanisms that will help you confront the situations, people, and places that make you anxious head on.
Our approach to mental health care is a holistic one, putting you, not your anxiety, at the center of your care plan. Together with your care team and therapist, you will learn what makes you anxious and the root of your anxiety. Many of our clients are surprised by what triggers their behaviors. Whether it is a painful memory, depression, or an untreated co-occurring disorder, your therapy team will work with you to identify the cause.
We proudly offer group therapy, one-on-one counseling and alternative therapies to help you learn to cope with your anxiety triggers and overcome them. Stop letting your anxiety control your life. Take back your confidence and regain control with Legacy Freedom. All phone calls and inquiries are strictly confidential. We're ready to help you overcome your anxiety, what are you waiting for? Call or click to connect with Legacy Freedom today!