Repairing a relationship that's been damaged by addiction can be difficult. It starts, however with recovery. If you or someone you love has been dealing with an addiction and need help, contact us immediately. We can help. Our alternative therapies offer an outside the box way to becoming drug-free.
Ways to Mend a Relationship | Substance Abuse Treatment Centers in Charlotte NC
If you were struggling to repair a relationship that's been damaged by addiction, consider the following. You'll find that these tips can help you better understand why the relationship is damaged and what you can do to fix it.
Talk face-to-face. Your loved one might not be ready to talk face-to-face, but this is the first step. Getting together for a meeting is key. In order to set the meeting up, give them a quick phone call or text message asking for a meeting. She's a public place and don't talk with each other and a personal space. Make sure it's a shopping center, restaurant or coffee shop. You could even meet at a park or other crowded area.
Hold yourself accountable. If you struggled with addiction for years and finally found recovery, don't forget that. Know that this addiction has caused considerable damage to this relationship. Know that your actions mean everything. Holding yourself accountable speaks volumes in this type of situation. You may have put drugs first for a long time, but don't use that as an excuse. Yes, it was beyond your control during addiction. But now, you have recovered and are able to take responsibility for your actions.
Realize the root problem. Depending on why you began drug use in the first place, you might want to try and analyze your entire situation. Did you begin using drugs because you started hanging out with your friends? Were you stressed at work or at home? Think about the root cause of your drug use. Then apply these thoughts to your relationship and how it ruined the connection with you and your loved one. Once you've identified the root cause of addiction, talk things over with your loved one. Let them know what caused the initial addiction and then continue the conversation with how you are changing.
What is their point of view? Put yourself and your loved ones shoes. Think about how they felt all the times addiction was more important than them. Don't think about yourself and how you're feeling, but instead empathize with your loved one. Think about how you would want the situation to be fixed. Contemplate that for a while. And, give your left want to chance to talk openly about how they feel.
Be honest. Honesty is the best policy, as we like to say but it is also difficult. Owning up to our faults can sometimes be overwhelming and stressful. However, being open and honest is one step closer to mending this relationship. Don't forget that. Without honesty he will never be able to move forward. If you have thoughts of relapse, tell your loved one. If even counted the trigger, let them know. They might be able to help you through it.
Below, you'll find quotes that can help you better understand what your loved one is going through. Being hurt and betrayed by someone you love is hard to deal with. Countless emotions come into play. Consider these inspirational quotes to put yourself in their shoes.
- A torn jacket is soon mended, but hard words bruise the heart of a child. - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- A word that has been said may be unsaid--it is but air. But when a deed is done, it cannot be undone, nor can our thoughts reach out to all the mischiefs that may follow. - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do you know the feeling, when your heart is so hurt, that you could feel the blood dripping? - Lady Gaga
- Forget what hurt you in the past, but never forget what it taught you. - Shannon L. Alder
- He who is or has been deeply hurt has a RIGHT to be sure he is LOVED. - Jean Vanier
- It hurts to have someone in your heart that you can't have in your arms. - unknown
- It hurts too much so I don't want to talk about it. - Alex Flinn
- It is when we hurt that we learn. - Steve Maraboli
- It's a lot easier to be angry at someone than it is to tell them you're hurt. - Zakiya Caswell
- Just because somebody is strong enough to handle pain doesn't mean they deserve it. - unknown
- No man can think clearly when his fists are clenched. - George Jean Nathan
- No matter how beautiful a lie is, in the end it hurts even more than the truth would have done. - Terry Mark
- Sometimes, being hurt too many times, doesn't make you stronger, it destroy who you were, who you wanted to be and makes who you are today. - Rafael Prado
- That old saying, how you always hurt the one you love, well, it works both ways. - Chuck Palahniuk
- The surest way to hurt yourself is to give up on love, just because it didn't work out the first time. - Amanda Howells
- There were things I wanted to tell him. But I knew they would hurt him. So I buried them, and let them hurt me. - Jonathan Safran Foer
- Two barrels of tears will not heal a bruise. - Chinese Proverb
- What hurts us is what heals us. - Paulo Coelho
- When someone stabs you it's not your fault that you feel pain. - Louise Penny
- You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world. But you do have some say in who hurts you. - John Green
We know how hard relationships can be even when addiction is not involved. It's important to remember this situation and know that if both parties are willing recovery and fixing the relationship is possible. If you missed a previous blog post, be sure to visit back with it, as well. You will find more information, as well as inspirational quotes to help you through this difficult situation.
If you are struggling with addiction, don't loose hope. There are substance abuse treatment programs that can help. Consider the following options for your child:
- Educational therapy groups
- Family advising and education
- Holistic education
- Individual therapy
- Recovery planning for relapse prevention
- Recreational activities
- Team building
Substance abuse treatment centers in Charlotte NC like Legacy Freedom, isn’t like any other type of rehab your teen will experience. We offer the following to those struggling with drug or alcohol use, in hopes to help them learn what life without drugs and alcohol will be like:
- adventure therapy
- comprehensive onboarding and evaluation
- drug testing
- dual diagnosis
- family therapy
- group therapy
- individual counseling focused on the individual’s needs
- life skills
- parental support and assistance
Legacy Freedom | Substance Abuse Treatment Centers in Charlotte NC
Do you think your teen son or daughter is suffering from an addiction and aren’t sure where to turn next? Regardless of how bad your drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available. You’re not alone in this. Recovery is just a phone call or visit away. Contact Legacy Freedom to learn about our substance abuse treatment centers in Charlotte NC and our highly successful outpatient therapy. We are here to help you get back on track to a healthier, happier life.