If your childhood was filled with violence, abuse, or neglect, the long-term effects of these situations could extend long into adulthood. Whether the behaviors that you were subjected to were intentional or unintentional, the scars that remain from witnessing family violence, experiencing physical, emotional, or sexual abuse or enduring neglect can be deep and life-altering. For some adults, the results of experiencing these traumas are debilitating. The frequency and severity of the abuse or neglect contribute to the lasting impact as you mature into adulthood. Other factors that impact the residual effects on adult survivors and their mental health include the following. If you're suffering from past incidents, call Legacy Columbus. We offer the best Columbus mental health services with an alternative approach.
- The victim's perception of the abuse. Feelings of stigmatization, shame, or self-blame can make the outcome worse.
- The relationship the survivor has with the person who abused them or exposed them to violence. Negative effects are most commonly associated with the perpetrator being someone with whom the child had an emotional relationship such as a parent or close relative.
- Whether the survivor received counseling or therapeutic services as a child for the abuse or neglect.
- If significant actions were taken to protect the survivor from further abuse, neglect, or exposure to familial violence.
- The type of abuse or neglect experienced and the severity of these episodes.
- The age at which the exposure to violence, neglect, or abuse occurred plays a crucial role. The younger the survivor is when they experienced their first incident, the more likely they are to have difficulties.
The long-term consequences of being exposed to violence, abuse, or neglect in childhood range from major social, behavioral, physical, and mental consequences.
Common problems seen in adults who have survived abuse include:
- Anxiety disorders
- Depressed immune system
- High risk behaviors including unprotected or promiscuous sex
- Aggression or anger issues
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Heart disease
- Low self-esteem
- Risk of intergenerational abuse or neglect
- Suicidal behavior
- Major depressive disorder
- Substance abuse and addiction
- Criminal behavior
Alternative Columbus Mental Health Services
The impact of abuse, neglect, and family violence on children can lead to a challenging and troubling transition to adulthood. If you were the victim of violence, neglect, or abuse as a child, or you know someone who was, Legacy Freedom can help. Thousands of clients have discovered ways to cope with these traumatic experiences. Together with your care team, you will create a program designed to help you overcome your trauma and turn destructive mental health patterns and behaviors around. Getting to the root of these issues and understanding the thoughts, memories, and feelings that trigger your negative thoughts and feelings can help your therapy team focus on treatments and methods that will help you break this devastating cycle.
Stop reliving your past and letting your traumatic childhood dictate your life. Call or click to connect with compassionate, holistic mental health therapy from Legacy Freedom. The help and hope you've been searching for is waiting for you.
Begin your healing journey with our compassionate and dedicated team of professionals at the best facility for Columbus mental health services today!