Addiction is different for everyone. No two people are the same when dealing with a dependency. That’s why understanding addiction can help not only those suffering but loved ones hoping to help, as well. Once addiction has been identified substance abuse treatment centers in Charlotte NC can help.
Teenage years are difficult for adolescences. It's a time where they're expected to be more responsible, plan for the future, do well at school and yet still somehow manage to act like the child they're not ready to let go of. It's a hard time for parents, as well. We hope the following information helps you become more aware of substance abuse and how you can help your teens. Thankfully, there are professionals out there that can help you both during this time. If your teen is using drugs or alcohol as a coping mechanism for pressures in life contact us.
Understanding Addiction | Substance Abuse Treatment Centers Charlotte NC
Here you'll find facts and information from www.drugabuse.gov.
- Brain changes that occur over time with drug use challenge an addicted person’s self-control and interfere with their ability to resist intense urges to take drugs. This is why drug addiction is also a relapsing disease.
- Drug addiction is a chronic disease characterized by drug seeking and use that is compulsive, or difficult to control, despite harmful consequences.
- Drug addiction is treatable and can be successfully managed.
- More good news is that drug use and addiction are preventable. Teachers, parents, and health care providers have crucial roles in educating young people and preventing drug use and addiction.
- Most drugs affect the brain's reward circuit by flooding it with the chemical messenger dopamine. This overstimulation of the reward circuit causes the intensely pleasurable "high" that leads people to take a drug again and again.
- No single factor can predict whether a person will become addicted to drugs. A combination of genetic, environmental, and developmental factors influences risk for addiction. The more risk factors a person has, the greater the chance that taking drugs can lead to addiction.
- Over time, the brain adjusts to the excess dopamine, which reduces the high that the person feels compared to the high they felt when first taking the drug—an effect known as tolerance. They might take more of the drug, trying to achieve the same dopamine high.
- Relapse is the return to drug use after an attempt to stop. Relapse indicates the need for more or different treatment.
Substance Abuse Treatment Centers in Charlotte NC Can Help
If you think your teen is suffering from an addiction, don't loose hope. There are substance abuse treatment programs that can help. Consider the following options for your child:
- Educational therapy groups
- Family advising and education
- Holistic education
- Individual therapy
- Recovery planning for relapse prevention
- Recreational activities
- Team building
Substance abuse treatment centers in Charlotte NC like Legacy Freedom, isn’t like any other type of rehab your teen will experience. We offer the following to those struggling with drug or alcohol use, in hopes to help them learn what life without drugs and alcohol will be like:
- adventure therapy
- comprehensive onboarding and evaluation
- drug testing
- dual diagnosis
- family therapy
- group therapy
- individual counseling focused on the individual’s needs
- life skills
- parental support and assistance
Legacy Freedom | Substance Abuse Treatment Centers in Charlotte NC
Do you think your teen son or daughter is suffering from an addiction and aren’t sure where to turn next? Regardless of how bad your drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available. You’re not alone in this. Recovery is just a phone call or visit away. Contact Legacy Freedom to learn about our substance abuse treatment centers in Charlotte NC and our highly successful outpatient therapy. We are here to help you get back on track to a healthier, happier life. Call now.