Becoming an addict is both simple and complex. You can be predisposed to addiction tendencies just by your genetic makeup - or rather who you are related to. You could be exposed to extreme peer pressure and use drugs just to fit in. The substance you abuse also has a big role. The chemical makeup of some drugs will almost guarantee that you become addicted to them. The hardest substances to kick actually train your brain to crave them and these make up the Top 10. In part one of this mini series, we covered drugs 10 - 6. Those ranged from GHB to alcohol. In part 2, we will discuss number 5, all the way to number 1. If you or someone you know has a substance abuse problem, please call Legacy Freedom. We have a world class outpatient drug and alcohol treatment center in Raleigh NC, Charlotte NC and Columbus OH. We use only holistic methods and will never use opiate replacement therapy. Call us today to start your new journey.
5. Crystal Meth - Crystal Meth, or just "Meth" is a really powerful amphetamine. This drug mimics a natural neurotransmitter so that it actually teaches your brain to need it - kind of like how nicotine and heroin work. Meth pretends to be the reward chemical called dopamine and the alertness chemical norepinephrine ... at the same time. This causes the brain to release more of both — and at the same time, Meth is teaching your brain to just want more and more of it. Crystal Meth is an addict's worst nightmare. It will grab you quick and hard and it will not let go.
4. Methadone - In some medical settings and treatment centers, methadone is actually considered a good thing when treating a heroin addiction and is often prescribed as opiate replacement therapy. Well if it is so good why is it ranked at number 4 for the most addictive substances? Methadone produces similar euphoric effects and produces some of the same withdrawal symptoms. If you become tolerant to methadone, then you are addicted to methadone. At Legacy Freedom, we do not use methadone to treat opiate abuse. We have an outpatient drug and alcohol treatment center in Raleigh NC that uses only holistic and alternative treatments to heal your body and soul. Please call us today.
3. Nicotine - Nicotine is a drug that might surprise a lot of people, but while it doesn't pack the same strength of high as crack and heroin, in terms of brain chemistry it does. Nicotine is eerily similar biologically. It also mimics a brain neurotransmitter and teaches the brain to crave it. Smoking regularly requires users to keep ingesting nicotine just to maintain normal brain function. Here is a scary figure - 1 out of every 5 deaths in the United States are a result of smoking.
2. Crack Cocaine - Crack cocaine and powdered cocaine are actually a lot different. Crack cocaine is made to be smoked and this causes a quicker and more powerful high but one that lasts a considerable shorter amount of time - only about 10 minutes compared to 30 for powdered cocaine. In 2010 there were over 500,000 active crack addicts in the US.
1. Heroin - The number one most addictive substance is heroin. The addictive qualities of this drug are legendary. In 2012 about 669,000 Americans reported using heroin within the past year. It is a powerful opiate that excels at reducing pain and creating a lot of pleasure. Injecting heroin is a one way street to addiction because you are teaching your brain to crave and want it all the time. With constant abuse, it will. According to the National Institute on Drug Addiction, about 23% of people who have ever used heroin become addicts.
A Holistic Drug and Alcohol Treatment Center in Raleigh NC
If you're looking for a holistic drug and alcohol treatment center in Raleigh NC, then please consider Legacy Freedom. We offer a drug free approach to recovery so you'll never need a crutch to get through life. Take the first step to recovery and a better life and please call us today. Get the help you need with Legacy Freedom Treatment Centers of Raleigh NC.