There are some people who become severely depressed during the holidays. This is usually caused by SAD, a disorder that causes depression from lack of sunlight due to shorter days during winter, or the loss of loved ones you wish you could be spending the holidays with. Whatever the cause is, there are several ways to beat the winter blues.
In our previous blog post, we talked about a few ways to overcome sadness, loneliness and depression. These ideas were more extreme and mindful. Below, you'll find several tips to help you beat holiday blues that aren't so thought out. They're easy to do each day. These things might even become a part of your life, after the season is over with. They'll help you de-stress and calm down no matter what's going on in your life.
No Holiday Blues This Year!
- Babysit the children of your friends or family members that need time to shop alone.
- Bake cookies or cakes and send them to friends and family that aren’t home for the holidays.
- Be unpredictable (Within reason!)
- Catch a comedy show in town.
- Cook your favorite meal and take it to a friend or family member that is feeling down.
- Get a new haircut.
- Go sightseeing in the town you live in or the next town over.
- Listen to music that is motivational and inspirational to you.
- Make a smoothie.
- Offer to help at a soup kitchen.
- Pamper yourself.
- Plan a mini-vacation, even if it’s only for one or two days.
- Read a classic book or your favorite book.
- Send greeting cards to unexpected acquaintances.
- Sing and dance, alone or with friends.
- Spend time with friends or family out getting coffee, tea or wine. Gossip about celebrities and their good work for others.
- Spring clean your home. Purge closets and donate unneeded clothing and other items to Goodwill or homeless shelters.
- Start a new healthy habit.
- Start photographing things that catch your eye. You don’t have to use a fancy camera, just use your cell phone for now. See where the new hobby takes you.
- Take a nap.
- Take a pottery, art or other type of class.
- Take a sick friend soup and movies.
- Take a walk in the country or down a busy city street. You can even go for a hike if there are mountains near you.
- Take a yoga class.
- Take time for yourself. Meditate or pray for at least 15 minutes every day during this busy time.
- Think about past times that leave you feeling loved and happy.
- Throw a holiday party for friends and family.
- Throw yourself into your work or start a new project.
- Visit an art or photography museum and lose yourself there while you ponder the meaning of each piece.
- Volunteer your time at an orphanage or children’s hospital.
- Watch a movie that leaves you in good spirits.
- Write a song, a poem, or a short story.
What do you do to help you beat the winter blues or stress during the holiday season? Share your thoughts with us!
Dependable Drug Rehab Asheville NC Services | Legacy Freedom
Are you suffering from an addiction and aren’t sure where to turn next? Regardless of how bad your drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available. You’re not alone in this. Recovery is just a phone call or visit away. Contact Legacy Freedom to learn about our highly successful outpatient therapy and drug rehab Asheville NC services. We are here to help you get back on track to a healthier, happier life.