Welcome back. We are here with more facts and statistics about the dangers of driving while impaired. It's important to not only read over these but also share them with those that might not think about the dangers.
Impaired Driving Dangers | Alcohol Rehab Charlotte
- Since 1980 MADD has saved 350,000 lives …and counting. (Fell, 1995 and NHTSA FARS data) Full cite: Fell J.C. (1995), “What’s New in Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety in the U.S.?” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Proceedings of 13th Conference, International Council on Alcohol, Drugs and Traffic Safety, ICADTS, NHMRC Road Accident Research Unit, University of Adelaide, Australia, C.N. Kloeden and A. J. McLean
- In 2015, three times as many males were arrested for drunk driving as females (508,633 v 167,327). Federal Bureau of Investigation, Crime in the United States: 2015. https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the-u.s.-2015/tables/table-33
- Over 40% of all 10th graders drink alcohol. Miech, R. A., Johnston, L. D., O’Malley, P. M., Bachman, J. G., & Schulenberg, J. E. (2015). Monitoring the Future national survey results on drug use, 1975-2014: Volume I, Secondary school students. Ann Arbor: Institute for Social Research, The University of Michigan, 599 pp.
- On average, two in three people will be involved in a drunk driving crash in their lifetime. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. “The Economic and Societal Impact Of Motor Vehicle Crashes, 2010.” National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, May 2014, DOT HS 812 013. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812013.pdf.
- Teen alcohol use kills 4,300 people each year – that’s more than all illegal drugs combined. Sacks JJ, Gonzales KR, Bouchery EE, Tomedi LE, Brewer RD. 2010 National and State Costs of Excessive Alcohol Consumption. Am J Prev Med 2015; 49(5):e73–e79.
- 50 to 75 percent of convicted drunk drivers continue to drive on a suspended license. (Peck, R.C., Wilson, R. J., and Sutton, L. 1995. “Driver license strategies for controlling the persistent DUI offender, Strategies for Dealing with the intent Drinking Driver.” Transportation Research Board, Transportation Research Circular No. 437. Washington, D.C. National Research Council: 48-49 and Beck, KH, et al. “Effects of Ignition Interlock License Restrictions on Drivers with Multiple
- In 2014, 16 percent of all drivers involved in fatal crashes during the week were drunk, compared to 29 percent on weekends. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. “Traffic Safety Facts 2014: Alcohol-Impaired Driving.” Washington DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2016. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/812231.pdf
- About one in seven teens binge drinks, yet only 1 in 100 parents believe his or her teen binge drinks. Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality. (2015). Behavioral health trends in the United States: Results from the 2014 National Survey on Drug Use and Health (HHS Publication No. SMA 15-4927, NSDUH Series H-50). http://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUH-FRR1-2014/NSDUH-FRR1-2014.pdf
- Alcohol levels above the legal limit were found in 21% of such drivers. (NHTSA, 2010)
- The drug showing the greatest increase among drivers from 2007 to 2013/2014 was marijuana (THC). The percentage of THC-positive drivers increased from 8.6 percent in 2007 to 12.6 percent in 2013/2014, a proportional increase of 47 percent. (NHTSA 2013-2014 Roadside Survey)
- Youth who start drinking before age 15 years are six times more likely to develop alcohol dependence or abuse later in life than those who begin drinking at or after age 21 years. Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality. 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Detailed Tables. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MD; 2016.
- About 4,000 drivers are killed each year with drugs in their systems. This doesn’t count those who had drugs in their system without test results, or those killed by drivers with drugs in their system. (NHTSA, 2010)
- Each day, people drive drunk more than 300,000 times, but only about 3200 are arrested. Arrest data: Federal Bureau of Investigation, “Crime in the United States: 2014” https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-29 Incidence data: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Alcohol-Impaired Driving Among Adults — United States, 2012.” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. August 7, 2015 / 64(30);814-817. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6430a2.htm
- A standard drink is defined as 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1.5 ounces of distilled spirits, which contain the same amount of alcohol. (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. “Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention in the Medical Setting.” DOT HS 809 467. Washington, DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, July 2002.)
- MADD has helped save nearly 30,000 young lives through passage of the 21 minimum drinking age law. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. “Lives Saved in 2011 by Restraint Use and Minimum Drinking Age Laws”. DOT 811 169. Washington DC: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 2012. http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811702.pdf
- Each day, people drive drunk more than 300,000 times, but only about 2800 are arrested. Arrest data: Federal Bureau of Investigation, “Crime in the United States: 2015” https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2015/crime-in-the-u.s.-2015/tables/table-29Incidence data: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Alcohol-Impaired Driving Among Adults — United States, 2012.” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. August 7, 2015 / 64(30);814-817. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6430a2.
We hope this information keeps you from getting into a vehicle after having too much to drink. Those that have a problem consuming too much alcohol on a daily basis might have an addiction to this substance. Just like drugs, you can become addicted to it. That means alcohol rehab in Charlotte might be your only chance at cutting back or quitting altogether. If you or someone you love need help, contact Legacy Freedom.