Have you heard about a new street drug called Flakka? If not, it's time to become familiar. This dangerous drug is causing serious issues and even death among those that choose to use it. Legacy Freedom, drug rehab in Charlotte NC, is here to help you learn more about one of the most dangerous drugs out there to date.
If you aren't aware of the dangers, the following information, according to tsnnews.com will help you become more familiar.
Flakka | Drug Rehab in Charlotte NC
- According to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), there were a whopping 670 cases of Flakka use reported in 2014. That’s up from ZERO cases in 2010, followed by 85 cases in 2012. Most cases come from the same area – South Florida.
- Because flakka is so cheap, it’s often marketed to homeless people as a cheap and easy alternative to cocaine.
- Cases of body temperatures reaching 105 or higher when using this drug has been reported.
- Even a mild overdose of flakka can result in serious heart problems, psychosis, and severe aggression.
- Flakka can be injected, snorted, smoked, or swallowed.
- Flakka comes from alpha-PVP, which is a synthetic (man-made) version of the stimulant known as cathinone. Cathinone comes from the khat plant, a plant native to the Middle East and Somalia. These same ingredients are found in “bath salts”, but flakka is cheaper – so cheap, in fact, that it is called “$5 insanity.”
- Flakka dealers can evade the DEA by labeling flakka with a “Not For Human Consumption” label and selling it as common household products.
- Flakka first appeared, shipped from China, in Florida. It has made an appearance in Texas, Ohio, Alabama, Mississippi, New Jersey, and New York.
- Flakka is cheaper than another newly popular drug, Molly. All you need is about $3-$5 per hit of flakka.
- Flakka is legally produced in China and there are upwards of 150 Chinese companies that sell this drug on the Internet. To trick agents in customs, the packaging of flakka comes in the form of common household products – cleaners, shampoos, and soaps, for example.
- Flakka use is predominantly seen in low-income neighborhoods, of all genders and racial backgrounds.
- It can cause permanent brain and kidney damage.
- Or the name could have something to do with the colloquial Hispanic word that means “a beautiful, elegant woman who charms all she meets.”
- People aren’t really sure as to where the name “flakka” came from.
- People may also be vaporizing flakka through electronic cigarettes, especially teenagers. This is a preferred method because no odor is given off while vaping.
- People may experience paranoia, think they have “super human strength”, and violent behavior from taking flakka.
- Researchers believe the drug to be even stronger than meth and cocaine.
- Scientists postulate that flakka actually destroy neurons in your brain.
- The drug can also cause hyperthermia (overheating), which is especially hard on your kidneys. Overdose survivors have had to remain on dialysis for the rest of their lives.
- The exact dose of flakka is hard to control, so there’s a huge margin of error for the difference between getting a high and dying.
- The fight-or-flight response triggered by the drug results in “extreme strength” and may take five or six police officers to restrain an individual on flakka.
- The high you get from flakka is similar to that of cocaine, but it lasts much longer.
- The name could be from the Spanish word “flaca,” which means “skinny girl.” This could relate to the appetite suppressing quality of the drug.
- The street drug is also sometimes packaged and sold to look like candy, or is mixed into common candy we see every day. For example, the drug was found mixed in a bag of gummy bears – it was actually crushed up and rolled into the candy. This makes it especially terrifying for kids getting their hands on this stuff.
- There are also rumors of the drug’s name having something to do with the hip-hop artist Waka Flocka Flame.
- To compare the price of flakka to meth: Flakka costs around $150 for an eighth of an ounce, while that amount of crystal meth is around $450.
- To counteract the effects of flakka, officers try to inject a sedative like Ativan (a benzodiazepine) before it’s too late. If they can’t inject it, the individual has a high chance of dying.
- Vaping flakka allows the drug to enter the bloodstream directly, making overdose even more likely – and therefore, making death more likely.
- You never really know what you’re getting when it comes to flakka. Some packets of the drug have meth, heroin, or cocaine inside as well.
According to cbsnews.com, “Flakka is a designer drug that can be snorted, smoked, injected or swallowed. It may also be combined with other, softer drugs such as marijuana.
If you or someone you know is using flakka, consider drug rehab in Charlotte NC to find recovery. Addiction is a hard battle alone. To read more about this drug, visit back with our previous blog post below:
Legacy Freedom | Drug Rehab in Charlotte NC
If someone you know and love is struggling with a substance abuse issue, don’t hesitate to contact our drug rehab in Charlotte. Our facility might be the only chance they have at recovery. There are numerous people dealing with addiction in the world so it's important to understand you aren't alone.
Regardless of how bad drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available. Contact Legacy Freedom if you need drug rehab in Charlotte. We are here to help you get back on track to a healthier, happier life.