Realizing that our teenagers have a drug addiction issue can be one of the hardest things we'll ever go through. Unfortunately, those that have teenagers suffering from addiction must approach recovery in a different way. Steps for making a recovery as a teen involves a slightly different plan. Below, you'll find more information about substance abuse in teens and young adults. We hope it helps you better understand the issue and how to help them.
Substance Abuse in Minors and Young Adults | Drug Rehab Charlotte NC
- Almost 70% of senior high school students will have used some type of substance, including alcohol, tobacco or drugs before they graduate high school.
- Teen alcohol abuse is a problem that is becoming more prevalent with each passing year. According to a national survey of 43,093 adults published in Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, 47% of those who begin drinking alcohol before the age of 14 become alcohol dependent at some time in their lives, compared with 9% of those who do not drink until at least age 21.
- Prescription drug's biggest abusers of these medications are young adults aged 18 to 25. Parents might not believe this, but their college aged children are interested in abusing anti-anxiety, opioid pain and ADHD stimulant medications for recreational use.
- In the last 10 years there have been numerous studies geared towards teens using drugs and why. While a decade ago The reason behind using drugs was for fun, now most motivation is geared toward solving teen problems, anxiety and stress.
- According to drug-free.org, 1 in 5 teens (4.4 million) has abused a prescription medication, nearly 1 in 5 teens (4.2 million) has already abused a prescription painkillers, 41 percent of teens think it’s safer to abuse a prescription drug than it is to use illegal drugs.
- Research shows that outpatient programs, like Legacy Freedom offers, provide higher success rates than other rehabs do. During outpatient treatment programs, teens are able to engage in group, individual and alternative therapy. They will be involved in individual therapy, group counseling and alternative therapies. We tailor substance abuse treatment to fit their needs.
It's always important to familiarize yourself with the signs and symptoms of substance abuse. Otherwise, you might miss a few key factors in determining whether or not your teen or young adult child is using drugs.
Substance Abuse Signs and Symptoms
- Won't allow you to meet new friends
- Unpredictable behaviors
- Uninterested in sports, hobbies or other extra activates they've always enjoyed
- Unexpected drop in grades at school
- Surly or moody every time you talk to them or see them
- Smoke or alcohol smells on the skin, hair or clothing
- Red eyes
- Rapid or rambling speech
- Puffiness around cheeks and eyes
- Psychotic and violent behavior
- Problems concentrating or thinking
- Panic attacks
- Nausea or vomiting with weight loss
- Nasal congestion and damage to the mucous membrane of the nose (if snorting drugs)
- Mood swings
- Memory problems
- Lies about activities
- Lack of inhibition
- Lack of coordination
- Inexplicable weight loss or gain
- Glassy eyes
- Gets caught in lies about where they are or have been
- Excessive sleeping
- Excessive nausea
- Ditches old friends for new ones
- Depressed behavior
- Completely uninterested in typical grooming or hygiene
- Asks parents for money frequently
- Asks family members for money
- Aggressive for no reason
There are ways to ensure our teens and young adults can fight this addiction and growing drug problem. Treatment is the only way.
If you fear your young adult child has developed an addiction to prescription drugs and needs help, trust our drug rehab in Charlotte NC. We can offer your them the following:
- comprehensive onboarding and evaluation
- individual counseling focused on the individual's needs
- group therapy
- adventure therapy
- family therapy
- drug testing
- dual diagnosis
- parental support and assistance
- life skills
- and many other programs that will be discussed upon contact
Legacy Freedom, Drug Rehab in Charlotte NC for Young Adults
Dealing with young adults and alcohol or drug abuse is difficult as a parent. That's why we are here to help you and your child through this complicated and dangerous situation. If you have questions or concerns about the risk of substance abuse or want to learn more about our personalized rehabilitation treatment, don't hesitate to contact us at any time.
Legacy Freedom is here for you and your teen. Our alternative programs are geared toward the needs of the patient. We don't offer an in-house facility, either. Outpatient therapy has proven to be far more successful than that of a traditional, lock-down facility. We encourage teens to go about their school and work schedules while receiving treatment. We also encourage parents to join us for group sessions as well.
We Offer Holistic Drug Rehab in Charlotte NC
If your teenage son or daughter is suffering from a substance abuse problem, it's time to get them some help. While it’s easy for them to believe they are alone in this struggle that is the farthest thing from the truth. There are numerous teens and young adults dealing with addiction, all over the world. Regardless of how bad drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available. Contact Legacy Freedom if your teen needs our drug and alcohol treatment services. We are here to help them get back on track to a healthier, happier life.