Misconceptions about addiction are all around us. Many times, people assume that substance abuse is a disease that cannot be avoided. They consider it a sickness that cannot be cured. However, the truth is choosing to use drugs or alcohol is a personal choice that people have to make on their own. If you've made bad choices with substance abuse, help is available at our Asheville alcohol rehab center and drug treatment facility. Call Legacy to learn more.
Though genetics might play a role in addiction, they do not play a role in the decision to use drugs initially. For those who are wondering how to stop generational addiction and clear up the misconceptions consider the following tips. Also be sure to visit with our previous blog post to learn more about what generational addiction is.
- Alternative therapy programs like adventure therapy, yoga and other holistic treatment options are great for helping fight your fears of addiction. Even more, they’re here to help you recover from substance abuse, as well. Consider trying holistic therapy to help you cope with underlying issues that might feed your family history of addiction within yourself.
- Steer clear of negative people. Not only will this bring you down to a mindset that isn’t positive and healthy, it will also cause you to feel depressed and anxious. Positivity is essential in fighting addiction and promoting an overall sense of well-being.
- Set boundaries for family members and friends that have substance abuse issues. It might be necessary for you to detach from those that are suffering from addiction. Setting boundaries when it comes to removing yourself from situations that involve drugs or alcohol is necessary for your health and recovery.
- Learn as much as you can about addiction, how it can affect people and why one might consider using drugs. Addiction is something that is different for everyone. No two addicts are alike. Getting a better understanding of why one might use and how addiction forms is a great way to stop the generational addiction.
- Find someone within your family of the older generation that is not directly involved in drug or alcohol use. Talk with them. Take their advice and learn how they made the decision to rise above addiction and family history.
- Make sure you always take care of yourself. Self-care is one of the most important aspects of life. When you stop caring about your health and your actions, abusing drugs or alcohol might become an issue. In addition to this, other family members struggling with addiction may see that your self-care is important. This might lead to them deciding to care for themselves, as well.
- Communicate with your family, despite the fact that they may be addicted to drugs or alcohol. Keeping an open mind and open lines of communication is a great way to not only help them understand how dangerous addiction is but also how to get help. Without communicating, they may never be able to recover from their addiction.
Whether you are struggling with substance abuse or your family member is, generational addiction can be stopped. It's important to understand that no matter what the dynamics of your family are treatment is available. Holistic, alternative therapy programs can help anyone recover from an addiction. To learn more, be sure to visit our previous blog post to read about generational addiction. It might help you recognize this type of pattern within your family. Then, you can contact our facility to learn more about rehab.
A Dependable Asheville Alcohol Rehab Center You Can Trust
Are you struggling with addiction? Taking action through alternative therapy and Asheville alcohol rehab at Legacy Freedom is the right path. Recovery is just around the corner as we're one of the best substance abuse treatment centers. You’ll no longer have to feel depressed or worry about where your next high is coming from. You can start focusing on getting healthy and mending the broken relationships that need to be fixed.
You will overcome this addiction. All it takes is a willing mindset and a supportive group of people that can help you through it. You’ll find that with Legacy Freedom. Our personalized rehabilitation programs are tailored to fit your needs. No two addicts are the same. We strive to ensure you get the care you need without interfering with your school or work schedule. Outpatient therapy programs are geared toward one thing – regaining your life without drugs or alcohol. If you’re interested in learning more, contact Asheville alcohol rehab center and drug treatment facility today.