Father's Day is coming up soon. It's a day of recognition and celebration. It's also a time to spend with loved ones. If you're looking for ideas as to what to give your father this upcoming holiday, consider offering your time instead of purchasing a gift. Sometimes, this can be more thoughtful and well received than buying something, especially if your father is going through alcohol abuse issues, at alcohol rehab in Asheville, or is in recovery.
For those who are interested in learning more about how to spend the day sober, while having fun and making memories, consider the options below. You'll be able to spend time as a family, without worrying about abusing alcohol or drugs.
- Cook lunch or dinner together. This might seem small, but spending time together creating a delicious meal will be a wonderful bonding experience. Plan a full meal with appetizers, entrées and dessert. Invite the whole family and wow them with your creations. Be sure to exclude alcohol from the menu.
- Plan to spend the day out in nature. Pack a picnic full of delicious, yet sustainable, food items. Look for waterfalls, hiking trails or other areas that you can explore. This will not only be great exercise, it's also a good way to spend quality time on Father's Day with family.
- If everyone has time, plan a camping trip or other mini vacation that can be spent in a beautiful area that offers rest and relaxation for everyone. Spend the weekend hiking, playing horseshoes, corn hole or other fun games. Make plans to cook over an open fire. Spending time in the great outdoors is great for everyone, especially someone who is recovering from alcohol abuse or addiction.
- Go fishing at a nearby lake or make plans to spend an entire weekend away fishing. Most dads seem to love fishing, no matter where it is. Again, it's a great way to spend time outdoors and have quality time with family.
- Play a round of golf at a favorite golf course. This is fun, a little competitive and great for spending quality time together.
- Plan a movie day. Choose a movie series that has three or four sequels or prequels that neither of you have seen before. Plan to order pizza, Chinese takeout or other fast food that won't take away from watching the movies.
- Choose to spend Father's Day volunteering or helping others. This will be a great way to bond and also help you feel great. Choose a nonprofit organization or other event where you can volunteer together and make a difference.
Below, you’ll find a big list of many different things you can spend time doing over the course of Father’s Day weekend. These won’t involve alcohol and will ensure a fun time had by all!
- Bird watch
- Build a sandcastle
- Bury each other in the sand
- Dance around and act silly
- Exercise together
- Do what you love most with the ones you love
- Fly a kite together
- Go bowling
- Go for a bike ride
- Go out to a fancy restaurant
- Go shopping
- Go to a ball game
- Go to a play or movie at the theater
- Go to the beach
- Go to the fair
- Have a “spa” day at hope or at a spa
- Jump rope together
- Paint or draw pictures together
- Play baseball together
- Play cards together
- Play chess or checkers and board games
- Ride go-carts
- Sing songs
- Spend a day at the zoo
- Take an art class
- Take photos of the family
- Tell the child/grandchild stories of family history
- Visit a farm
- Visit a nursing home together
- Visit the library
- Watch the sun rise
Depending on whether or not you want to have a thrill seeking, fun or overall quality time day, there are many options to choose from. Spending Father's Day sober and happy is worth more than any gift that can be given. We hope this information helps you choose a great way to spend Father's Day without alcohol use.
Drug And Alcohol Rehab in Asheville NC That You Can Trust
Are you or someone you know drinking excessively? Are you worried about how bad alcohol abuse has become? If so, it might be time for rehab. You might be thinking that choosing therapy isn't the best option or that it's too late for help. Our outpatient rehabilitation will work. It's a great way to get help and allows you to stick with your daily routines of going to school or work. You won't miss out on important things.
Legacy Freedom isn’t like any other type of rehab alcohol abusers might experience. We offer the following to those struggling with alcohol use, in hopes to help them learn what life without drugs and alcohol will be like:
- adventure therapy
- comprehensive onboarding and evaluation
- drug testing
- dual diagnosis
- family therapy
- group therapy
- individual counseling focused on the individual’s needs
- life skills
- family support and assistance
If you're ready to beat alcohol abuse and get back on the path to a happy, healthy life, contact us at Legacy Freedom of Asheville. We are here to help you with a personalized drug or alcohol treatment program that will work. Our outpatient programs have a 100% success rate for those committed to recovery. Don't wait. Call now and get the alcohol rehab in Asheville that you need. Our counselors are standing by to walk you through recovery and into a life without addiction.