Diet pills have been around for decades. They are used to increase metabolism, lose weight, and maintain weight loss. While they might seem harmless, it's important to understand that though they are marketed and sold in stores, many of them are not sanctioned by the FDA. This means that ingredients can vary from brand to brand and manufacturers do not have to adhere to set guidelines. This could be dangerous for many reasons. If you need alcohol or drug rehab Asheville services, Legacy can help. Call now!
There are natural supplements that can help with weight loss and increase metabolism. These are also not sanctioned by the FDA so you should talk with your physician about these types of supplements. It's important to understand that when something is not approved by the FDA, manufacturers do not have to list all of the ingredients on the packaging.
This is when things get confusing and dangerous. There are chemicals that can be used in diet pills that can cause addiction, death, and overdose. Below, you will find many of the dangers, side effects, and issues that can come with using diet pills. It's important to know that even if you follow the instructions found on the packaging, it is still dangerous to use diet pills.
Consumer Reports did a study on diet pills and found the following information to be true. You can find this information and more on consumerreports.com:
- We have identified a dozen supplement ingredients that we think consumers should avoid because of health risks, including cardiovascular, liver, and kidney problems. We found products with those ingredients readily available in stores and online.
- Because of inadequate quality control and inspection, supplements contaminated with heavy metals, pesticides, or prescription drugs have been sold to unsuspecting consumers. And FDA rules covering manufacturing quality don't apply to the companies that supply herbs, vitamins, and other raw ingredients.
- China, which has repeatedly been caught exporting contaminated products, is a major supplier of raw supplement ingredients. The FDA has yet to inspect a single factory there.
Dangerous Ingredients in Diet Pills
- A chemical referred to as bitter orange is found in diet pills and can cause vomiting, high blood pressure, heart attack, and stroke.
- Ephedrine has been banned in the US because it causes increased heart rate, irregular heart rate, heart attack, high blood pressure and more.
- Causing arrhythmias, stroke, heart rate increase, high blood pressure and, sibutramine is also a dangerous chemical within diet pills.
Many of the ingredients that can be found in diet pills purchased online have been banned by the US. The Federal Drug Administration has deemed many of the ingredients not safe or effective.
Try to make a list of ingredients that should not be included in diet pills. That way, if you or someone you know falls victim to using, you'll be able to identify highly dangerous and potentially life-threatening substances. The best way to avoid life-threatening ingredients is to refrain from using diet pills altogether. As we've learned, they are very dangerous and can cause fatal problems.
Below, you will find a list of both short-term and long-term side effects, as well as overdose symptoms that can come with overusing.
- Blurred vision
- Severe headaches
- Body image issues
- Chest pain
- Increased paranoia
- Irregular heartbeat
- Low self-esteem
- Mood swings
- Stomach pain
- Teeth grinding
Diet pills are dangerous, at best. Worst cases can result in long-term problems and even death. We hope this information helps you understand the dangers that come with using diet pills. To learn more about diet pills visit back soon. Our next blog will have more information.
Real Drug Rehab Asheville NC Services
If you think someone you love is suffering from an addiction to over-the-counter medication like diet pills or other substances, don't lose hope. There are substance abuse treatment programs that can help. Consider the following drug rehab Asheville options that are available at Legacy Freedom.
- Educational therapy groups
- Family advising and education
- Holistic education
- Individual therapy
- Recovery planning for relapse prevention
- Recreational activities
- Team building
Drug rehab Asheville NC at Legacy Freedom isn’t like any other type of rehab your teen will experience. We offer the following to those struggling with drug or alcohol use to help them learn what life without drugs and alcohol will be like:
- Adventure therapy
- Comprehensive onboarding and evaluation
- Drug testing
- Dual diagnosis
- Family therapy
- Group therapy
- Individual counseling focused on the individual’s needs
- Life skills
Do you think someone you know and love is suffering from an addiction. Don't know where to turn next? Regardless of how bad your drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available. You’re not alone in this. Recovery is just a phone call or visit away. Contact Legacy Freedom of Asheville to learn about drug rehab and our highly successful outpatient therapy. We are here to help you get back on track to a healthier, happier life with affordable drug rehab Asheville NC that really works.