Suspecting that our teenagers are using drugs isn't an easy realization for parents. It's hard to wrap our minds around. The fact that teens get to a place in life where they turn to drugs is often the hardest part to grasp. That's why it's important, as a parent, to familiarize ourselves with the signs, symptoms and behavioral changes that often happen when our teens turn to drugs.
Teen Addiction Signs | Drug Treatment in Charlotte NC
- Unusual smells on breath, body, or clothing
- Tremors, slurred speech, or impaired coordination
- Deterioration of physical appearance, personal grooming habits
- Changes in appetite or sleep patterns. Sudden weight loss or weight gain
- Bloodshot eyes, pupils larger or smaller than usual
Teens that are using drugs tend to change everything about their previous lifestyle. They change their friends, clothing style and more. These changes are indications that your teen might be using drugs or they’re hanging out with friends that do drugs. Monitor teens closely to ensure that you see these changes and then try to figure out why the changes are happening. Below, you’ll find a few behavioral and social changes that often happen when teens are using drugs.
- Abandons old friends
- Doesn't want parents to meet new friends
- Decline in personal hygiene and grooming habits
- Moody, aggressive or surly at home, for seemingly no reason
- Needs to borrow money from family members without offering a reason why
- Grades are suddenly dropping
- Favorite activities, sports or hobbies are neglected
- Whereabouts are being lied about
Substance abuse in teens tends to happen quickly – a lot more quickly than we’d like to admit. Changes in their behavior may be sudden, often without any warning at all. By the time teens begin showing signs, they’re likely already using drugs.
In our next post, we will talk about the most commonly used drugs among teens and what each drug offers in the way of effects and symptoms. That way, that you'll be able to further your knowledge regarding drug addiction in teens and how you can help your teen overcome it.
Legacy Freedom | Drug Treatment in Charlotte NC
Regardless of how bad drug use has become in your teenage child, help is always available. You’re not alone in this. Recovery is just a phone call or visit away. Contact Legacy Freedom to learn about drug treatment in Charlotte NC. We are here to help you, and help your teen, get back on track to a healthier, happier drug-free life.