Caring for a loved one is difficult, especially if they're suffering from a mental illness. As adult children, we sometimes find ourselves having to care for a senior parent with mental illness.
Below, you'll find tips that can help you through this. If you're looking for Greensboro, NC mental health services for your senior parent, be sure to call Legacy Freedom for help right now!
Caring for Senior Parents with Mental Illness
- One of the best ways to make sure you're properly caring for a senior parent with a mental disorder is to get as organized as possible. Set goals and priorities and stick with them. Make to-do lists and have a backup plan should something happen and you can no longer care for them.
- Planning their diet is essential, as well. Older adults tend to care less and less about eating, in general, as they get older. That doesn't mean they don't need nutritional meals each and every day. Work toward getting them on a healthy, whole foods diet. This can help with their mental disease as well as keep them strong and healthy.
- Getting them on a sleep schedule will help, as well. This is another thing that declines as we age. Getting restful sleep is key in any person's healthy life, especially senior adults.
- Accept help when you need it. This can be a full time job, caring for seniors with mental illness. Don't make the mistake of not accepting help from friends, family and professionals that can make things easier.
- Work with a facility like Legacy Freedom to add in mental health recovery therapy. It can help seniors get back on track and be in contact with others suffering from the same disorders.
As a caregiver, be sure to take the following advice so that you do not overwork or stress yourself out while caring for a senior with mental health disorders.
Relax and spend time with loved ones. Don't forget that you have a life too. You'll be stronger and healthier when you take time for yourself and do things you enjoy.
Don't let stress get in the way of your overall well-being. It's easy to get overwhelmed, stressed or even depressed when caring for suffering loved ones. Take care of yourself and find ways to cope with stress or depression.
Exercise regularly. This is a great way to keep stress at bay. You can also take the senior you're caring for on a long walk with you each day. This can be great therapy for you both.
Refrain from using alcohol or drugs. It's understandable that you're stressed and overwhelmed. However, substance abuse will only make things worse. Don't make the mistake of using drugs or alcohol to help you cope. There are other, natural ways. Talk with Legacy Freedom about this. We can help.
If you or someone you love is suffering from mental illness, be sure to contact us. We are here to offer holistic therapy that works.
Greensboro, NC Mental Health Services For Seniors
Are you ready to start a new journey? Searching for Greensboro, NC mental health services? If so, we can help you rejoin the path to wellness. Our mental health facility can help you learn how to cope with your mental illness in a way that leaves you living a happy, healthy life. Our focus is on you, the individual suffering from this disorder. Our holistic, personalized care is highly successful and can be customized to fit your needs. Don't hesitate to contact us now to learn more. You are not alone. There are many more suffering from the same illnesses. Don't accept defeat. Learn to fight and cope with depression, anxiety, PTSD and more. Call Legacy of Greensboro today.