Mental health disorders are prevalent in many people all over the world. There's no doubt that it's a serious problem everywhere. In a previous blog post we talked about the fact that minorities struggle more with mental health than others in the U.S. In particular, we discussed that 20 percent more African Americans are diagnosed with mental illnesses. However, research shows that Asian Americans also have significant trouble with mental health issues. Why? Most commonly because they tend to suffer from their symptoms without ever seeking help. If you're searching for mental health facilities in Asheville, NC, call Legacy Freedom! We can help you.
Below, you’ll find statistics and facts that have been featured by latimes.com. This information will help you get a better understanding of mental health among Asian Americans.
- In Hong Kong, a survey by the Hong Kong College of Psychiatrists shows that there are only 345 working psychiatrists for a population of 7 million people, about half the ideal number.
- In Asia, mental illnesses are less likely to be treated as medical conditions, according to Mariko Kahn, the executive director of Pacific Asian Counseling Services. Many Asian languages have no words to describe mental illness, except words with negative connotations.
- Asian Americans, especially Asian American immigrants, are less likely to seek mental health than the general population according to Nolan Zane, a researcher and professor at UC Davis. Language barriers and a lack of providers who understand Asian cultures contribute to that disparity.
The most common mental illnesses that are experienced in minorities are:
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Suicide, especially in young men
- Major depression
Holistic Mental Health Facilities In Asheville, NC
There's no reason to ignore mental illness symptoms. If you're struggling with anxiety, depression or another condition please contact Legacy Asheville to learn more about our services. We are here to help you get back on track to a happy, healthy life. You'll also find the following alternative therapies geared toward helping individuals cope with their disorders:
- Adventure Therapy
- Acupuncture Therapy
- Chemical Dependency
- Equine Assisted
- EMDR Therapy
- Inner Child
- Life/Purpose Coaching
- Meditation Therapy
- Nutritional Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Sound Therapy
- Tai Chi
Accepting that you need help with a mental disorder can be difficult. Often, those suffering blame themselves for their situation and rarely believe that they can be helped. Feeling helpless and hopeless is a common problem with all types of mental illnesses. However, accepting help is the first step in the right direction. Know that whatever it is that's causing your disorder, treatment can help. Holistic, alternative therapy is here for you. All you have to do is acknowledge that you need it. Call today and schedule your initial visit to one of the best mental health facilities in Asheville, NC.