More on Managing Stress and Anxiety at Work

Therapists in Columbus, OHWelcome back to our continuing series on workplace stress and anxiety. Our previous post discussed the causes of stress in the workplace and how it effects both our job performance and our relationships with colleagues and family. In this post, we will discuss what triggers anxiety at work, how to cope with it, and what to do when you feel overwhelmed at the office. If you're searching for therapists in Columbus, OH, to help you battle anxiety issues, call Legacy Freedom for help.

It should come as no surprise that workers report high levels of anxiety or stress when it comes to managing staff, leaving a job, starting a new job, meeting deadlines, giving presentations and other work responsibilities. Other factors include not feeling valued by their supervisor or other coworkers, concerns about job performance and irregular feedback. Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the United States. Sadly, many American workers don't feel that they can share their diagnosis with their employer for fear that their boss will see it as a weakness. Only 25 percent of those diagnosed with anxiety have disclosed the condition at work. The other 75 percent have not, out of fear that their disorder will affect promotion opportunities, result in a notation in their personnel file, or being labeled as lazy at work. One fourth of those with anxiety report that in the last six months they have experienced anxiety so debilitating that it impaired their ability to function at home or work.

Coping with your anxiety in the workplace can be challenging. Studies have shown that workers deal with stress and anxiety on the job in several different ways:

  • increased exercise
  • higher use of caffeine
  • more regular alcohol consumption
  • smoking
  • taking an over the counter medication
  • prescription medications
  • relaxation activities
  • increased sexual activity
  • confiding in friends or family
  • sleeping more

It should come as no surprise that men and women manage their workplace stress differently. Men are more likely to use illicit drugs or have sex more frequently while women are more likely to talk to friends or family and eat more to cope. Dealing with anxiety each day can be exhausting and more than 72 percent of women and 86 percent of men say that the stress and the resulting fatigue have had significant effects on their personal lives.

Here are some ways to manage your anxiety while you are on the clock:

  • Hit the Gym - Skip that taco cart at lunch or get up an hour earlier and hit the gym. Exercise increases your brain's production of endorphins, your body's natural feel-good chemical. An early morning workout can set the tone for your day. Not an early riser? A midday sweat session can help break up those office tensions you're feeling.
  • Turn Your Stress into a Creative Outlet - Start a blog or journal to document the things in your day that caused you to feel stressed or anxious. Everyone loves a good nightmare at work story to make them feel less stressed about their own work. Finding the humor in a situation that was less than funny at the time can help you put things into perspective after the fact.
  • Reward Yourself - As you complete tasks or projects that make you anxious, treat yourself for completing them on time. Whether you take a walk at lunch instead of working straight through or you duck out a little early and stop for ice cream on the way home, having a feel good in place for when you finish those taxing tasks can help you stay on target and distract you from your feelings of anxiety.
Affordable Therapists in Columbus, OH For Anxiety

Your stress and anxiety don't have to control your life. Call or click to connect with one of our care team members and let Legacy Freedom of Columbus put you in control of your life today!

Comments are closed.

Call Now Button