“Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it ." – Plato
According to the National Institute of Health, more than 350 million people are suffering from depression worldwide. What if this debilitating disorder could be combatted by simply just getting up, and getting your body moving? Legacy Freedom has created a holistic approach to Raleigh, NC depression treatment through traditional talk therapy and alternative therapies like yoga, adventure therapy and aromatherapy. A holistic approach allows us to treat the whole person, not just their depression. Utilizing our on-staff dietitian, life coach and therapists we create a custom treatment plan that helps you heal your body and overcome your depression.
Did you know that exercising as little as 10 minutes a day, three times a day is enough to boost your mood and help combat depression? The Australian Association for Exercise and Sports Science says that 30 minutes of exercise a day is as equally effective as an antidepressant medication for treating mild to moderate depression.
Other benefits of exercise include:
- Pain relief - Exercise is a great way to keep your body fit, strong, and in healthy condition. It benefits your mind. When you run, jump, or simply just walk your body releases endorphins. These endorphins interact with the opiate receptor in the brain to reduce our perception of pain. It acts in a way similar to drugs such as morphine and codeine. Exercise is a natural way for your body to combat pain. For a person suffering from depression this could be life changing. Depression is often linked to body aches and pains.
- Mood lifter - Exercise also helps lift your mood and creates a sense of well-being. People who exercise on a regular basis tend to feel more energetic and sleep better at night. Studies have shown that people suffering from mild to moderate depression who do daily exercises have seen significant improvements in their recovery. Exercise promotes neural growth in the brain which can decrease depression and anxiety.
- Distraction - Exercise is a great distraction. When you are caught in a cycle of negative thoughts, going outside and running or simply just walking can help you clear your mind and focus again on more positive and beneficial thoughts.
- Stress reliever - When you are stressed your muscles tense up. Exercise helps your muscles relax and relieves tension in the body. Consider walking or exercising with a friend to increase your stress release.
When you suffer from depression you may have a hard time getting out of bed, let alone getting out and doing exercise. Starting slow is the key to starting an exercise routine. You will not be able to run five miles the first day, so be realistic about your goals.
Some of the most beneficial types of exercise for combatting depression are:
- Cardio – Running or doing aerobic exercises gets your heart pumping and your blood moving. This is a great way to get the endorphins working in full effect.
- Strength training – A recent study showed that a 10-week cycle of strength building exercises is a great way to reduce the signs of depression.
- Yoga – Learn the essentials of breathing and mindfulness.
- Walking- This is enough aerobic movement to start your exercise regime.
Holistic Raleigh, NC Depression Treatment You Can Trust! Legacy Freedom!
No matter what you choose, getting out and getting moving is a great way to help combat your depression. If you, or someone you love, are suffering from depression, help is just a phone call or click away. Our dedicated staff of professional therapists and clinicians is ready to help you discover and live your best life with holistic and alternative Raleigh, NC depression treatment. Call Legacy Freedom of Raleigh NC and find out why holistic therapy could be the right choice for you.