It is a new year and that time when we re-think our last year. Often we are looking at how we can do things different. The new year is like a clean slate. It is a time to start new. It can also be a great time to make a alcohol free resolution. This resolution can bring many benefits to an individual. It can also mean leaving a lifestyle that is full of misery as well. The biggest problem with this no alcohol resolution is that many are not able to maintain the resolution for long. Within weeks many will revert back to their old ways. The good news is that there are some things you can do to help you achieve your goals and keep you successful. This post will look at these and the reasons why one might give up alcohol in the new year. If you need a Columbus OH alcohol rehab center you can trust in 2018, trust in Legacy. Call today.
Giving Up Alcohol for 2018
These are some of the most common reasons people may decide to give up alcohol in the new year:
- Often they are worried about their current level of consumption. Such people may not yet have developed any of the symptoms of addiction, but they feel uneasy with the amount they are currently drinking.
- If people are already addicted to alcohol they may decide that the new year is an appropriate time to end their misery.
- Those overweight individuals who are serious about shedding the pounds in the new year may decide to eliminate alcohol. This will mean that they will avoid consuming all those empty calories that are found in alcoholic drinks.
- Many individuals decide to give up alcohol because they just want to live a healthier life. Excessive alcohol consumption is responsible for a great deal of ill-health and disease.
- Some individuals who want to follow a spiritual path may decide to give up alcohol for the new year. Practices such as meditation will be almost impossible for people who abuse alcohol because of the impact alcohol has on concentration levels.
- Some people just give up alcohol because of boredom. They have been spending too much time in bars or drinking at home and want to experience something new in the new year.
People do not need to have developed serious alcohol problems before deciding to give up alcohol. These are some of the good reasons for giving up alcohol:
- When people drink too much, they do not have time for hobbies and other forms of entertainment. This means that life can begin to feel a bit unsatisfying.
- The individual does not need to be addicted to begin developing alcoholic liver disease. It is believed that 90% of all heavy drinkers will develop fatty liver, the first stage of alcoholic liver disease.
- If people continue to abuse alcohol, it can lead them into physical and psychological dependence. Alcoholism sucks all the good out of life. If the individual is unable to escape the downward spiral, it will lead them to insanity and death.
- If people abuse alcohol, they do more than just harm themselves. They also usually inflict pain and suffering on their friends and family. It is not necessary for the individual to be a drunken tyrant before alcohol begins to harm their relationships.
- Excessive alcohol consumption increases the likelihood that people will develop diabetes.
- Drinking too much can cause alcoholic lung disease.
- Alcohol intoxication means that the individual loses a degree of self-control. This is because their inhibitions are lowered. This is one of the great attractions of alcohol because it means people feel more sociable but it is also the biggest dangers. It can mean that people are more likely to engage in foolish, risky, or illegal activity.
- Alcohol can cause a lot of damage to the heart. Those who drink excessively are at risk of developing alcoholic cardiomyopathy, which can also increase blood pressure. It is believed that 2% of all coronary heart disease is caused directly by excessive alcohol intake.
- Alcohol can be expensive, especially if people regularly go to bars. During a night on the town, a heavy drinker could easily spend a couple of hundred dollars. This money could be better used to buy a nice car or go on an exotic holiday.
- Alcohol abuse can have a devastating impact on mental health. It can lead to serious problems such as depression. Most cases of suicide involve people who have been drinking alcohol prior to the act.
Many people will claim that an alcoholic will need to hit rock bottom to escape the addiction. This idea often gets misunderstood to mean that the individual needs to lose everything before they can get better. This type of thinking is wrong, and it is also very dangerous. The individual does not need to lose anything at all to put an end to the alcohol abuse. This rock bottom only refers to the point where they have had enough. Rock bottom is often described as an elevator descending into hell. It is up to the passenger to decide where they want to get off. Some people have a high rock bottom, where they lose very little. Other people will take the elevator all the way down to the bottom. This is where insanity and death await.
There is no reason for people to wait until the new year before enjoying the joys of sobriety. It is simply the time of the year we look at a clean slate. The best time to quit is always right now. The problem with waiting for a special date is that the individual may no longer have the motivation to quit when that day arrives. Those who have a serious alcohol problem will only be adding additional suffering to their life by waiting. The new year can be an appropriate time to embrace sobriety, but it is even more enjoyable to be sober for the new year.
Best Columbus OH Alcohol Rehab Center for 2018
Alcohol abuse isn’t something that can be resolved overnight. It’s a serious problem that many enter alcohol rehab for. If you, or someone you know, are suffering from alcohol abuse and need help, contact Legacy Freedom Columbus. Our counselors are standing by to help. No matter how bad alcohol use has become, there’s still hope for recovery. Contact us to learn more about our Columbus OH alcohol rehab center.