Did you know that October is National Substance Abuse Prevention Month? This annual awareness campaign is aimed at preventing our young people from getting addicted to drugs and alcohol. As the leading center for drug rehab in Columbus OH, we feel we should do our part in educating the public on the common facts about heroin.
Common Facts About Heroin
1. Heroin is extremely addictive. It is a drug that is processed from morphine. Morphine is a natural byproduct of a substance extracted from Asian opium poppy plants.
2. Heroin is typically snorted, or smoked at first. Then users move on to injecting it. Again, heroin is a highly addictive drug. It will invade the brain at a rapid pace. All three methods of using can lead to addiction. None are safer than the others and all can cause severe health problems.
3. Heroin users come from all social and economic backgrounds. Sadly, many new heroin addicts are in their teens, or early 20s. We are also seeing new heroin users from middle and upper middle class suburban families.
4. Your tolerance to heroin will begin after the first few uses. After a short time, users will need more and more heroin to produce the same level of intoxication. This is a leading factor in the drug's high addiction rates.
5. There are a lot of health risks associated with using heroin such as HIV and AIDS, collapsed veins, liver disease, and fatal overdose.
6. Withdrawal sickness can begin within a few hours of an addict's last hit. Users call this being dope sick. The symptoms of being dope sick are: Restlessness, Agitation, Paranoia, Short Temper, Insomnia, Diarrhea, Vomiting, Chills, Muscle Aches, and more.
7. Major withdrawal symptoms are different for each user. If you are trying to quit, then they will peak at between 48 and 72 hours after the last dose. For most cases, these symptoms will last for about a week. It is not easy. Heavier users may even experience some withdrawal symptoms for a few months. Be aware that if you are in the heaviest user category then a sudden withdrawal from the drug can be fatal and you should seek help from a center for drug rehab in Columbus OH.
8. For most heroin addicts, the craving can last for years, even after graduation from a treatment center. These cravings can be triggered by lots of different things. Avoid stress, certain people, old hangout places, and the things that you associated with drug use to help cope with recovery.
9. In heroin’s street form, it will be a rose gray, brown or black color. Street heroin is never pure. It has different types of toxic ingredients added to it. They are mixed with heroin to reduce the purity so the dealers can have more product to sell. Because of these factors it is hard to know how strong street heroin actually is so overdoses can occur suddenly.
Holistic Drug Rehab in Columbus OH
Legacy Freedom Treatment Centers offers holistic drug rehab in Columbus OH, and the surrounding areas. Our programs are built to let you live life without a crutch. Our drug and alcohol treatment programs are designed to work without using drugs to treat drug abuse. We have several different options for treatment available with success stories to back them up. Make that first step toward recovery today and give us a call. We're ready, are you?