Our drug rehab in Charlotte has a few statistics to share with you about some of the drugs we listed in our previous post, and how they affect our bodies. It's a bit shocking to read, but our hope is to help you understand that addiction recovery is the only way to lead a long, happy, and healthy life.
Drug Rehab Charlotte | Statistics and Facts
- Nearly one-third of reported AIDS cases have been linked to injection drug use—heroin, cocaine, or any drug that abusers inject.
- More than half of those who are addicted to drugs have also had some form of mental illness—either at the same time as their addiction or at some other point in their lives.
- Cigarette smoking is the leading preventable cause of death in the United States, causing about 440,000 deaths per year in the U.S. alone.
- Cigarette smoking has been linked to about 90 percent of all lung cancer cases.
- Sniffing highly concentrated amounts of the chemicals in solvents or aerosol sprays can directly induce heart failure and death within minutes of a session of repeated inhalations.
- In long-term marijuana abusers, some changes in the brain are similar to those seen after long-term abuse of other major drugs, including cocaine, heroin, and alcohol.
- 2.1 million emergency room visits in 2009 were related to drug abuse.
- 23 million people required treatment for a drug or alcohol abuse problem in 2009. Only 11.2 percent received assistance at a specialty rehab facility.
Do you, or someone you know, have a substance abuse problem? It's easy to believe that you are alone. In reality, that's the farthest thing from the truth. The statistics above are proof. There are numerous others in the world suffering from the same substance abuse issues. Regardless of how bad substance abuse has become, help is always available. Contact our drug rehab in Charlotte, Legacy Freedom. We are here to help you get on track to a healthier, happier life.
In our next post, our drug rehab in Charlotte will offer a few more statistics for you, regarding substance abuse in teens. Visit back with us soon!