Drug Rehab Charlotte NC: SAD Can Affect Your Recovery; Don't Let it Happen.
According to Mayoclinic.com, “Significant mood changes can incite greater substance abuse, and seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a form of depression associated with weather and seasons. The disorder is most common in the fall and winter months when decreased temperatures and sunlight hours appear to disrupt circadian rhythms and serotonin and melatonin levels, which in turn trigger the disorder.” There are several important points about SAD, also according to mayoclinic.com:
- Common symptoms include depression, anxiety, lethargy, oversleeping, appetite changes and concentration problems.
- Related-risks associated with SAD include social withdrawal, work/school difficulties, substance abuse and suicidal thoughts.
- SAD is most common with females, people living far from the equator and families who have a genetic history of the disorder.
- Though less common, some people experience SAD in the spring and summer months when sunlight increases.
- Spring and summer SAD symptoms include agitation, irritability, insomnia and a diminished appetite.
In our last drug rehab in Charlotte NC blog post, we talked about the serious issues that warmer weather can cause with recovering addicts. The concern is startling, especially after reading these statistics:
A 2011 Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) report on drug-related suicide found that suicide attempts peak from September to December. For adolescent males aged 12 to 17, nearly 20% of all attempts take place in the month of December.
Sometimes, professional treatment from a drug rehab in Charlotte NC is the only way to rise above SAD and the statistics above. Legacy Freedom offers tailored treatments that help the direct needs of each of our patients. Support structures are a vital part of all recovery ventures. Several of our therapies occur in a group setting, surrounding you with the support you need to get back on the right path. It’s important to consider getting help, especially during the turn of the season, when you aren’t sure how the weather might affect your recovery.
If you’d like to speak with our drug rehab in Charlotte NC about your substance abuse treatment, feel free to contact Legacy Freedom for help. We are standing by to help you regain your strength and find the right road of life.