Our drug rehab in Charlotte is back to help raise awareness regarding teen alcohol and drug usage. While it may be hard to believe, there are more teens out there with a substance abuse problem than you'd ever imagine. In fact, according to hhs.gov, "Alcohol is the substance abused most frequently by adolescents, followed by marijuana and tobacco. In the past month [June 2014], 39 percent of high school seniors reported drinking some alcohol, almost 23 percent reported using marijuana, and 16 percent reported smoking cigarettes."
Drug Rehab Charlotte: Statistics of Alcohol and Drug Usage in Teens
Hhs.gov states that more adolescents drink alcohol than smoke cigarettes or use marijuana and that:
- Almost four out of 10 high school seniors report drinking some alcohol.
- More than one in five have engaged in “binge drinking” in the past two weeks.
- Nearly one in four adolescents has ridden in a car with a driver who had been drinking.
- In 2012, an estimated 855,000 adolescents ages 12–17 (3.4 percent of this age group) had an AUD (alcohol drinking disorder.) This number includes 444,000 females (3.6 percent) and 411,000 males (3.2 percent.)
Thankfully, cigarette smoking has dramatically declined in teens in the past 15 years. That doesn't however, keep them from at least trying it. hhs.gov. states:
- One in five has smoked within the past month.
- The use of smokeless tobacco increased between 2008 and 2010, but has remained fairly steady since 2010.
- More than six million children born between 1983 and 2000 will die in adulthood of smoking-related illnesses.
While drinking alcohol is the most prevalent issue with teens, don't count out illicit drug use. The statistics (according to hhs.gov) are a bit shocking to those parents who never suspect their teens will be exposed to illicit drugs.
- By the twelfth grade, about half of adolescents have abused an illicit drug at least once.
- The most commonly used drug is marijuana, but adolescents can find many abused substances, such as prescription medications, glues, and aerosols, in the home.
After reading these statistics and facts, it is clear that underage drinking is a serious issue. For more information on teen drinking, be sure to visit back with our drug rehab in Charlotte, soon. We will have more information on teen drinking and how, as a parent, to deal with it. We will even feature tips for teens soon on how to stay away from alcohol and how to identify an AUD.