Drug Overdose | Drug Treatment in Charlotte NC
Drug use is a serious problem, not only in the U.S. but also all over the world. There are many people who die each year due to a drug overdose. Below, you'll find statistics and facts about drug use and overdose, according to drugfreeworld.com:
- 2.2 million people abused over-the-counter drugs such as cough syrup.
- 60 percent to 70 percent say that home medicine cabinets are their source of drugs.
- A 2007 survey in the US found that 3.3% of 12- to 17-year-olds and 6% of 17- to 25-year-olds had abused prescription drugs in the past month.
- Almost 50 percent of teens believe that prescription drugs are much safer than illegal street drugs
- Depressants, opioids and antidepressants are responsible for more overdose deaths (45 percent) than cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine and amphetamines (39 percent) combined.
- Every day in the US, 2,500 youth (12 to 17) abuse a prescription pain reliever for the first time.
- In 2005, 4.4 million teenagers (aged 12 to 17) in the US admitted to taking prescription painkillers, and 2.3 million took a prescription stimulant such as Ritalin.
- In 2006 in the United States, 2.6 million people abused prescription drugs for the first time.
- In 2007, the Drug Enforcement Administration found that abuse of the painkiller Fentanyl killed more than 1,000 people that year in the US. This drug is thirty to fifty times more powerful than heroin.
- In the United States, the most deaths used to take place in inner cities in predominantly African-American neighborhoods, but they have now been overtaken by white rural communities.
- In the US alone, more than 15 million people abuse prescription drugs, more than the combined number who reported abusing cocaine, hallucinogens, inhalants and heroin.
- Of the 1.4 million drug-related emergency room admissions in 2005, 598,542 were associated with abuse of pharmaceuticals alone or with other drugs.
- Of the 22,400 drug overdose deaths in the US in 2005, opioid painkillers were the most commonly abused drug, accounting for 38.2% of these deaths.
- Prescription drug abuse caused the largest percentage of deaths from drug overdoses.
- Prescription drug abuse, while most prevalent in the US, is a problem in many areas around the world including Europe, Southern Africa and South Asia.
- The average age for first-time drug users is now 13 to 14.
For more information about drug use and overdose, be sure to visit back with us during our next blog post.
If you’re suffering from an addiction and need help, consider drug treatment in Charlotte. Addiction isn’t something that you can beat easily. Oftentimes it requires extensive rehab and support. Legacy Freedom is here to offer both to you, when you’re ready. Addiction can leave you feeling sad, lonely, and angry. You are not alone. Legacy Freedom is here to help you get back on track to a happier, healthy, drug free life.
Visit other blogs in this series, below: