Overdose | Drug Rehab in Charlotte NC
Whether it's intentional or not, a drug overdose happens when someone takes more drugs than medically recommended. Some who end up overdosing on drugs might be more sensitive to certain types. The body can only handle so much toxicity.
Illegal substances are used to get high. When too much of that drug is ingested into a body, the person's metabolism can't detoxify fast enough and that causes a buildup. An overdose can cause serious side effects and sometimes, death.
Exposure to chemicals, plants, and other toxic substances that can cause harm are called poisonings. The higher the dose or the longer the exposure, the worse the poisoning.
According to emedicinehealth.com, Two examples are carbon monoxide poisoning and mushroom poisoning:
- People respond differently to a drug overdose. Treatment is tailored to the individual's needs.
- Drug overdoses can involve people of any age. It is most common in very young children (from crawling age to about 5 years) and among teenagers to those in their mid-30s.
Drug Overdose Treatment
- To remove unabsorbed drugs, medical experts might wash out the stomach by gastric lavage, also known as stomach pumping.
- To help bind drugs, keeping them in the intestines and stomach only, activated charcoal might be given to someone who has overdosed. This will keep the drugs from being absorbed in the blood.
- Some overdoses, depending on the drug used, can be treated with an antidote that will reverse symptoms. For this to take place, the drug used must be known.
It's important to note that the best way to prevent a drug overdose is to steer clear of all drugs for recreational use. Even those that aren't using drugs for this purpose risk overdose, unintentionally. That's why it's important to understand all aspects of this issue.
Do you know someone who is at risk for overdosing on drugs? Consider getting them the help they need. While you might be worried that offering help will make things worse, it's worth a try. You never know how they'll react until you offer your help. Enlightening them on alternative therapies, like the ones that Legacy Freedom offers, might just be the one thing that helps.
For more information about drug use and overdose, be sure to visit back with us during our next blog post.
Drug Rehab in Charlotte NC | Legacy Freedom
If you, or someone you know is suffering from a substance abuse problem, it's time to get help. While it’s easy to believe that you are alone in this struggle, that is the farthest thing from the truth. There are numerous people dealing with addiction in the world.
Regardless of how bad drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available. Contact Legacy Freedom when you need drug rehab in Charlotte NC. We are here to help you get back on track to a healthier, happier life.
Visit other blogs in this series, below: