On April 21st, one of the greatest musicians of all time died from what seemed to be mysterious causes at the time. Later on, an investigation was launched and it was determined that Prince died of a drug overdose.
So what's the drug that killed Prince? Let's find out below. Searching for top rated drug rehab in Greensboro NC? Call Legacy for more information.
The Drug That Killed Prince
The drug Prince overdosed on is one that isn't as familiar as Oxycontin or other painkillers used recreationally. This drug, called fentanyl, is one that Ben Levesnon, who works with Dr. Phil as an addiction adviser, says is "Very, very powerful. 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine and 25 to 50 times more potent than heroin," he said. "Depending on the grade, about 40 times more potent than heroin."
The CDC estimates that fentanyl is 80 times as potent as morphine and hundreds of times more potent than heroin. Classified as a Schedule II drug by the federal government, its medical uses are typically pain management following surgery or for chronic pain.
It is also manufactured under the following brand names:
During the 1970s, the drug began to gain popularity. It was used as a recreational drug, despite its potency and dangers. The following street names have been used for the drug over the years:
- China Girl
- China White
- Dance Fever
- Murder 8
Until recent years, the drug was stolen from pharmacies but now, drug dealers are making it. They mix it with cocaine or heroin. This synthesized version has various street names, including:
- Drop Dead
- Lethal Injection
According to people.com, "One gram of pure fentanyl can be cut into approximately 7,000 doses for street sale, and manufacture of the drug requires relatively little technical knowledge."
Below, you'll find more facts about this dangerous and lethal drug.
- A small amount of even just two milligrams can be lethal.
- The drug can kill so quickly that most people still have the needle in their arms as they die.
- Though the drug was derived for cancer patients that are closely monitored, it's been used as a painkiller for other issues, as it can mask "breakthrough pain".
- Fentanyl is one of the top ten most prescribed drugs.
- Most of the supply in the U.S. is brought in from Mexico, according to authorities.
- It's an expensive drug that is easy to make when mixed with heroin or cocaine.
- This drug can be ordered online from China as well as prescribed by a doctor or gotten from labs in Mexico.
- The half life of fentanyl is short; only three to four hours. This is much shorter than heroin.
- Drug dealers love the drug because they can sell more due to the half life.
The legacy Prince left was one that won't be matched. The musical world will miss him forever. However, he also left behind a legacy in death that will hopefully open the eyes of many. Fentanyl is a dangerous drug that is causing unnecessary overdoses. We hope that others will learn from this great musician's mistakes.
Quality Drug Rehab in Greensboro NC Begins with Legacy Freedom
If your loved one is suffering from an alcohol or drug problem, it's time to get them some help. While it’s easy for them to believe they are alone in this struggle, that is the farthest thing from the truth as there are numerous people in the world dealing with addiction. Regardless of how bad drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available. Contact Legacy Freedom of Greensboro if you, or a loved one, need alternative, personalized therapy. We are here to help them get back on track to a healthier, happier life with the best alcohol treatment and drug rehab in Greensboro NC.