Do you suspect that a loved one is using meth? If so, there's cause for worry. This dangerous drug is detrimental to one's health. It's a drug that has a high that can last days and also causes a serious reaction in the body, leaving it wanting more and more.
It might be hard to tell if your loved one is on drugs. Below, you'll find several signs and symptoms from a typical meth drug user.
Meth User Signs and Symptoms | Drug Treatment in Charlotte NC
- Teeth grinding and tooth loss leading to a collapsed jaw
- Sunken-in face
- Sores all over the body
- Shaking and tremors
- Neglect family and job
- Intense cravings that leave one feeling desperate to find more
- Extremely dilated pupils and light sensitivity
- Dry skin and gums
- Dry mouth
- Deterioration of physical appearance and personal grooming habits
- Decreased or increased, and possibly painful, urination
- Decreased appetite
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Brittle or missing hair
- Become engaged in deeper criminal behavior such as committing fraud, writing bad checks, selling drugs, continuing down the dark path that drugs create
- Become distant from friends and relatives
- Agitation and irritability
- Abscesses in the skin from dirty needles
- ‘Picking’ of the skin causing dangerous and unattractive sores and scars
- ‘Meth Mouth’ - brittle and thin teeth, missing teeth or teeth that become shaped like a pipe due to the chemicals found in meth
According to drugabuse.gov, other "problems reflect significant changes in the brain caused by abuse of methamphetamine. Neuroimaging studies have demonstrated alterations in the activity of the dopamine system that are associated with reduced motor speed and impaired verbal learning. Studies in chronic methamphetamine abusers have also revealed severe structural and functional changes in areas of the brain associated with emotion and memory, which may account for many of the emotional and cognitive problems observed in chronic methamphetamine abusers."
To learn more about dealing with a meth addict and the treatment options that are available to help them get clean, visit back with us for our next blog post. We will offer a great deal of information to you, so you can help your loved one recover from addiction, once and for all.
Legacy Freedom | Drug Treatment in Charlotte NC
Are you suffering from an addiction and aren’t sure where to turn next? Regardless of how bad your drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available. You’re not alone in this. Recovery is just a phone call or visit away. Contact Legacy Freedom to learn about drug rehab and our highly successful outpatient therapy. We are here to help you get back on track to a healthier, happier life.
To learn more about how to deal with a meth addict, be sure to read our other blog posts in this series:
Dealing with a Meth Addict: An Overview
Dealing with a Meth Addict: What to Expect
Dealing with a Meth Addict: Signs and Symptoms
Dealing with a Meth Addict: Treatment Options
Dealing with a Meth Addict: Withdrawal Symptoms