Casual drug use doesn’t mean it’s any safer. When someone uses drugs recreationally, they generally only do it in social situations and may only do it occasionally or on the weekends. However, recreational drug use still has its risks. It can lead to risky behavior, mental and health problems, addiction and even death.
Recreational drug use doesn’t guarantee that they won’t have the same problems as someone who turns to them to cope with problems or numb pain. All types of drug users run the same health, mental and financial risks. In this two-part series, we’re talking about the risks of using drugs casually.
Let’s start with the general risks. For affordable alcohol and drug rehab in Raleigh NC, please call Legacy Freedom to get the help you need and deserve.
● Using drugs in public can lead to problems with other people. When someone is under the influence, their emotions are heightened. They are more likely to do something they wouldn’t normally do, like make inappropriate advances, start fights or spend money. (“The next round is on me!”) It can cause problems with a significant other, friends or family. They may also make bad decisions, such as deicing to drive.
● Of course, a major concern with using drugs is that it’s illegal. Someone caught under the influence or with drugs on them can risk losing their license, jail time or worse. Having charges against them can result in being kicked out of school or fired from a job.
● Many people use drugs in order to cope with social anxiety. They may only use them when they’re around friends, but they run the risk of becoming dependent on them. Rather than dealing with the anxiety in a healthy way, such as with therapy or behavior modification, they turn to drugs in order to relax. This can lead to dependency.
● Another danger of using drugs recreationally is that the user is probably in a situation where he or she will take more risks. If people are around other users, or in a high energy environment such as a club, they will likely be more open to taking drugs and may even mix them, on purpose or accidentally. Some people may not think twice about combining alcohol, which is perceived as not as harmful, with a drug.
● Over time the body becomes tolerant of the drugs in its system, so it will take more to get the same high. This leads them to run the risk of overdosing in order to get the same high as before.
The biggest risk in using drugs is what they do to your health. Using drugs casually can be more of a risk because a user may accidentally overdose or have a bad reaction.
In the next part of this series, we’ll look at the top five drugs that are used in the U.S. and their risks and effects.
Holistic and Alternative Drug Rehab in Raleigh NC | Legacy Freedom
If your casual drug use has become a problem, it's time to get help. Legacy Freedom Treatment Center is here for you. Our personalized treatment plans will ensure that you will be able to find a solution that works. Because we offer outpatient alcohol and drug rehab in Raleigh NC, you can continue to go to school or work while getting help. Our customized treatment plans offer many different types of therapy options that meet the needs of the individual to ensure that you have the tools you need for a full recovery. Call us today to speak with an admissions counselor and get the help you need.