Did you know that having surgery could cause depression? Unfortunately, it's a complication that can happen after any type of surgery. Many doctors warn their patients about this possibility, but it's possible yours did not. Depression after surgery can be caused by a reaction to pain medication, the physical and emotional stress of the surgery, chronic pain, possible reaction to anesthesia, or the idea of facing mortality sooner than expected. If you want the best Greensboro, NC depression treatment, call Legacy Freedom today!
Dealing With Post Surgery Depression
There are several ways that you can combat post-surgery depression. Below, you'll find tips.
- Seek help from a medical professional. If you feel like depression is overwhelming you, immediately visit with a professional. It's possible that holistic mental health therapy can help you through this time.
- Focus on the fact that you are alive and getting better every day. We know how hard it is to face mortality. However, focusing on positive things rather than negative ones will help you through your depression.
- Spend time outdoors. Did you know that fresh air can reduce depression? When you feel trapped, fatigued, depressed or anxious, have someone help you outdoors if you need assistance. Sometimes, surgery can lead to being homebound and immobile. However, it's possible to get outdoors with help. Being outside can improve your mood and help you cope with depression. Make sure you talk with your doctor before spending time outside. If risk of infection is an issue, you want to be sure that you will not do anything to compromise your health.
- Exercise as much as possible after your surgery, as well. We know you may not be able to fully engage in a workout, but walking as much as you can will help with depression. If you're not able to get out of bed, lift 2 to 3 pound weights or do leg lifts while you sit. Again, it's important to work with your doctor on an exercise plan that will work for you.
- Don't forget to talk to friends and family during this time. They could be a great support system. While they may have never deal with depression, they will be able to lend an ear and listen to how you feel.
- Be sure to make a list of all symptoms that continue to come about during your healing process. That way, when you talk with a healthcare professional they'll know what type of treatment may be necessary. Symptoms of depression after surgery can include anxiety, stress, aggression, irritability, restlessness, eating too much, not eating enough, Sleeping too much or too little, feelings of despair and hopelessness.
If you find that you are struggling with depression after surgery, please be sure to contact a professional. Holistic therapy is available for those who need it. It's a great way to learn how to deal with depression and overcome it without medication.
Post Surgery Greensboro, NC Depression Treatment
We are here to help you get back on track to a happy, healthy life. You'll find that we offer alternative and holistic Greensboro, NC depression treatment. Our programs are geared toward helping individuals cope with their disorders.
Know that whatever it is that's causing your disorder, treatment can help. Holistic, alternative therapy is here for you. All you have to do is acknowledge that you need it.
When you're ready to talk with our staff of professionals, contact Legacy Freedom of Greensboro NC. We can help you with affordable mental health services that work.