Substance abuse among college students is a serious issue. There are many that begin drinking excessively within days of moving in their dorms, while others begin using drugs or alcohol after the pressures of their first semester.
College Students | Drug Treatment in Charlotte NC
Below, you'll find several statistics and facts concerning substance abuse among college students.
- USA Today publishes that half of the 5.4 million full time college students in America admit to binge drinking or using drugs at least once a month.
- According to a survey conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health, 47 percent of college students have tried it at least once, with 30 percent admitting to using it in the past year.
- The National Institute of Drug Abuse states that nine percent of users become addicted.
- CASA reports that between 1993 and 2005, illegal drug use including heroin and cocaine increased 52 percent.
- A Monitoring the Future Study found that 12.7 percent of college students had used Ecstasy at least once in their lives.
- According to a study in the Journal of Addictive Diseases, 62 percent of a group of students with a valid prescription for ADHD medication were diverting it to students without prescriptions.
- The CDC reports that 100 people die in the United States daily from drug overdoses, with a majority of them being prescription drug-related.
Below, you'll find the most popular abused substances by college students:
- Central nervous system depressants
- Over-the-counter drugs
Here, you'll find the most common signs of addiction in teens:
- Decreased focus
- Drastic changes in weight
- Excessive sleepiness
- High-risk sexual behavior
- Lack of motivation
- Poor academic performance
- Skipping classes
- Traffic accidents
- Trouble with the law
- Unidentified pill bottles
- Violent outbursts
- Withdrawal from friends and activities
While we aren't sure what exactly motivates college students to turn to drugs there are a multitude of reasons that could cause addiction. In our next blog post we will talk about those reasons. Be sure to visit back with us soon.
Drug Treatment in Charlotte NC Might be the Only Solution
If your college aged son or daughter is suffering from a substance abuse problem, it's time to get them some help. While it’s easy for them to believe they are alone in this struggle that is the farthest thing from the truth. There are numerous teens and young adults dealing with addiction, all over the world. Regardless of how bad drug or alcohol use has become, help is always available. Contact Legacy Freedom if you’re teen needs drug treatment in Charlotte NC. We are here to help them get back on track to a healthier, happier life.