Quitting smoking can be a life-changing experience that many people only dream of happening. Because it’s a challenging withdrawal, many people never actually quit, long-term. Most of the time, it’s because they think that the damage is already been done and there’s no reason to quit. However, there are ways to cleanse your lungs after quitting smoking. Though this is the case, it won’t be quick and easy. There are several ways to make sure you cleanse your lungs after quitting smoking. The key is to stick with it and make sure you are fully withdrawn and are on your way to a healthier life, without cigarettes. Did you know that Legacy Freedom can help you with addiction of any sort? Call us today and ask about our many options for drug rehabilitation in Asheville NC.
How to Cleanse Your Lungs
Below, you will find several tips that can help you cleanse your lungs once you’ve stopped smoking.
- If you smoked in your home, it’s important to make sure the air there is completely purified. Using a HEPA filter in your HVAC system is a great way to start filtering out the toxins. Also be sure to clean any carpet and upholstered furniture. Wash all of your curtains, sheets and anything else that toxins could stick to you. While cleaning your home, open the windows and doors so that fresh air can come in and sweep away the old, stale smoke.
- Cleaning your car, in the same way as you do your home is important, as well. If you smoked in your car, you’ll need to deep clean the seats, carpet and other areas that the toxins might be sticking to. Even if you didn't, smoke and toxins could have transferred from your clothing to the seats.
- As soon as you stop smoking, it’s important to stay away from any and all types of smoke. Stay away from a wood-burning stove, bonfire or other smokers. This will ensure you're keeping your lungs free and clear of smoke for a while. Staying away from second hand smoke, especially, is essential in the healing process. We know this might be difficult, but it is a great way to get your lungs off to a good start so that they are not compromised with any other types of smoke.
- Also, it's important to stay away from any toxic household cleaning products, as well. Your lungs vulnerable from your addiction. It’s important to illuminate any toxins, at least for the first 3 to 6 months after quitting. Any type of toxins in cleaning products can irritate the respiratory tract. This can cause breathing issues and coughing.
- Another way to help cleanse your lungs by eating pineapples. While this might seem unlikely, this fruit contains bromelin. It works to cleanse your lungs so that you’re able to breathe deeply and take in more oxygen. This alone can help increase the elasticity in your lungs.
- Adding things like avocados, ginger, horseradish, cayenne pepper, thyme and rosemary into your diet can help with the cleansing process, as well. These things are good for your lungs.
- Twice today, take 1 teaspoon full of honey. This can help detox your lungs from all the toxins, as well. In addition, because honey is an antioxidant, it can help with any infections in the longs or pain you could be experiencing from cleansing.
- To help fight damage done to lungtissue, consider adding grapeseed extract into your diet. It can also help strengthen the blood vessels, as well as give you a fresh supply of oxygen to work with within the lungs.
- In order to fully cleanse your lungs, forgoing dairy products for a while can be helpful. Dairy can increase mucus. When you’re trying to get rid of toxic mucus in the lungs, adding more at this time is not recommended. Eventually, you can re-introduce dairy but for the first 3 to 4 weeks, consider excluding it from your diet.
- Green tea can help release toxins in the body. This is a great way to help the withdrawal process, as well as get rid of lingering toxins while your cleansing your lungs.
- Add potassium to your diet during your long cleanse. Things like oranges, bananas, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, tomatoes, spinach and other fruits and vegetables that are rich in potassium can help you cleanse your lungs.
- For 20 minutes each day, take a hot bath. This can help remove toxins, as well. To up the purifying level, add a couple of drops of eucalyptus test essentials to the hot water. Inhaling the steam that comes from the bath with the essential oil in it can be great for congestion and lung purification.
- Also be sure to add and physical activity into your daily life, as well. Those who’ve been smoking for years need to take exercising slow but, increasing over time it will be a great way to get rid of the mucus and phlegm that’s been building up in your lungs since you’ve been a smoker. This discharge will come up through coughing. Though it is unpleasant, it’s important to get rid of this. That’s all part of the cleansing process.
- Breathing exercises will help you improve the function of your lungs, as well. Talk with your doctor about how to start these exercises. You may even consider consulting a respiratory therapist, as well.
As with any type of major change to your lifestyle, it’s important to consult a physician before adding in new food, exercise and breathing techniques. Your health is important and talking with a healthcare provider can make sure you’re making changes that are positive and progressive. We hope these tips help you cleanse your lungs so that you can go back to a healthy life without worrying about the damage that's been done to your lungs.
Best Nicotine and Drug Rehabilitation in Asheville NC
Do you or someone you know have a problem with substance abuse? If so, it might be time for rehab.
Legacy Freedom Asheville isn’t like any other type of Asheville drug rehabilitation you or your loved one will experience. We offer a variety of treatment programs to those struggling with drug or alcohol use so that they can learn what life without drugs and alcohol will be like. Because we personalize therapy to fit the needs of the individual, our success rates are much higher than traditional facilities.
Contact Legacy Freedom to learn about how our alcohol and drug rehabilitation in Asheville NC is tailored to fit the needs of your teen so that they're able to learn how to rejoin life, drug-free.