Fourth of July weekend is regarded as the halfway point of summer. As the holiday weekend kicks off, the temptations for recovering addicts can be great. Backyard BBQs with friends and family can feel like a minefield, especially if you are newly sober or have been struggling to maintain your sobriety over the summer. Preparing yourself for the pitfalls you are sure to encounter this weekend as you celebrate can help you avoid situations that may tempt you to use.
The staff at Legacy Freedom of Raleigh has compiled a list of tips to help you prepare and manage your temptations as you celebrate the holiday. For holistic Raleigh NC alcohol rehab and drug addiction treatment, call Legacy Freedom.
- Be honest about your triggers and cravings. If you know that certain situations or people pose a threat to your sobriety, plan to avoid the situation or to manage the potential triggers. Avoid allowing yourself to become angry, tired, lonely, or hungry as these are the most common states that trigger addicts to seek their drug of choice. Instead, choose to take your own snacks to events or outings where food may not be readily available, get plenty of rest and make sure you have someone to connect with when you feel yourself becoming emotional. Being mindful of your present state can help you avoid the pitfalls that contribute to the reasons that most addicts lose their sobriety. Acknowledging these triggers does not make you weak, it empowers you to control the situation around you so that you can maintain your sober state.
- Bring a friend. Some events are unavoidable, especially if they are annual family get-togethers or work related functions. However, that does not mean you have to navigate them alone. Invite a friend along who is supportive of your recovery efforts and who isn't afraid to help you navigate difficult situations or remind you of how far you've come when temptation is staring you in the face. Having a trusted support person with you eliminates the feeling of loneliness or being excluded from the group because of your sobriety.
- Make your own fun. Your circle of friends may have changed since you stopped using and that's okay. Use the holiday as an excuse to make your own sober fun and create new holiday traditions. Being in charge of the event means that you control the activities, food, and beverages. Invite people who support your sober lifestyle and who will not be tempted to sneak in alcohol or other temptations.
- Have a plan before you go. If you know that there will be alcohol at a party, BBQ or other events, make a plan for how and when you will attend. Arrive early to the party and help the host or hostess set up. Find a job that you can do during the festivities that will keep you busy and help you avoid the emotional and physical pitfalls we mentioned before. Your host will be happy to have the extra help, and it will keep you circulating among all the guests. Plan to leave early before party goers begin to drink heavily and could goad you into having 'just one.'
- Remember why you started. For many, the journey to sobriety came with the realization of their addiction. Whether you 'hit rock bottom,' your family and loved ones staged an intervention, or you made the decision for yourself to stop using and become sober, the reason you have chosen to live a sober life is a powerful motivator. Reflecting on the ways your life has changed since you became sober and what your goals are for yourself can help put things into perspective.
- Find a sober event. Many communities are uniting to provide sober events around the holidays. Utilize social media or apps like Meetup to find holiday celebrations with like-minded people in your area. Avoiding the temptation altogether and celebrating with those who are focused on their sobriety as well can help you focus on having fun rather than avoiding potentially risky situations.
- Treat yourself. Once the holiday has ended, and you have navigated the celebrations successfully and remained sober, reward yourself. Choose to indulge in a healthy activity that you enjoy like seeing a movie, getting a massage, going shopping or spending the day at a water park. The recovery process is a lifelong journey. Celebrating and acknowledging your achievements is important. Include sober friends or your support people in your celebration.
Raleigh NC Alcohol Rehab You Can Trust
At Legacy Freedom, we realize how difficult it is to ask for help for your drug or chemical dependency. If you, or someone you love, are battling a substance addiction, we can help. Our Raleigh NC alcohol rehab and drug addiction treatment is not a twelve step program. We offer addicts a holistic approach to overcoming their substance abuse and living a sober and purpose filled life.
Together with your life-purpose coach, you will develop a treatment plan that is focused on you, not your addiction. Our holistic approach to addiction treatment utilizes therapies that help heal your mind, body, and spirit. Our professional counseling staff will help you discover the root of your addiction through traditional talk therapy. Many clients realize that the underlying causes of their addiction are related to sexual, emotional, or physical abuse, an undiagnosed mental illness or other personal trauma. Addicts turn to drugs or alcohol as a way to cope with these issues and self-medicate. Once treatment of these underlying issues has begun, many addicts no longer feel the need to use in order to escape. Group Raleigh NC alcohol rehab and drug addiction treatment allows you to find support among your peers as you begin to live a sober lifestyle and offers you support when you are away from our outpatient facility.
Our on-staff dietician and physical therapist will help you heal your body through exercise and proper nutrition. Physical health and well-being are central to your mental health and the ability to move past your addiction into a healthy lifestyle. Nourishing your spirit comes through our extensive alternative therapy offerings. With more than ten alternative therapies to choose from, your life-purpose coach will help you select the right therapies for you based on your needs and interests. Clients can choose from adventure therapy, equine therapy, tai chi, yoga, aromatherapy and more. Learn more about our alternative therapy offerings on our blog and find a complete list on our website.
When the party never stops, and every day feels like a holiday, it's time to turn to Legacy Freedom. We can help you or a loved one begin the journey towards a healthy, sober, purpose-filled life with Raleigh NC alcohol rehab and drug addiction treatment you can trust. The help you need is just a phone call or a click away. Connect with Legacy Freedom today and stop letting your addiction run your life.