Below, you’ll find a list of the most commonly prescribed drugs that cause mental health problems in those who regularly take them. Even those that do not abuse the drugs can still have problems with behavioral issues. This list is provided by TIME.com.
Prescription Drugs Can Cause Mental Health Disorders | Drug Rehab Charlotte NC
- Amphetamines - Amphetamines are used to treat ADHD and affect the brain’s dopamine and noradrenaline systems. They are 9.6 times more likely to be linked to violence, compared to other drugs.
- Atomoxetine (Strattera) - Used to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), Strattera affects the neurotransmitter noradrenaline and is 9 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to the average medication.
- Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) - An antidepressant which affects both serotonin and noradrenaline, this drug is 7.9 times more likely to be associated with violence than other drugs.
- Fluoxetine (Prozac) The first well-known SSRI antidepressant, Prozac is 10.9 times more likely to be linked with violence in comparison with other medications.
- Fluvoxamine (Luvox) - An antidepressant that affects serotonin (SSRI), Luvox is 8.4 times more likely than other medications to be linked with violence.
- Mefoquine (Lariam) - A treatment for malaria, Lariam has long been linked with reports of bizarre behavior. It is 9.5 times more likely to be linked with violence than other drugs.
- Paroxetine (Paxil) An SSRI antidepressant, Paxil is also linked with more severe withdrawal symptoms and a greater risk of birth defects compared to other medications in that class. It is 10.3 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to other drugs.
- Triazolam (Halcion) - A benzodiazepine which can be addictive, used to treat insomnia. Halcion is 8.7 times more likely to be linked with violence than other drugs, according to the study.
- Varenicline (Chantix) - The anti-smoking medication Chantix affects the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, which helps reduce craving for smoking. Unfortunately, it’s 18 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to other drugs — by comparison, that number for Xyban is 3.9 and just 1.9 for nicotine replacement. Because Chantix is slightly superior in terms of quit rates in comparison to other drugs, it shouldn’t necessarily be ruled out as an option for those trying to quit, however.
- Venlafaxine (Effexor) - A drug related to Pristiq in the same class of antidepressants, both are also used to treat anxiety disorders. Effexor is 8.3 times more likely than other drugs to be related to violent behavior.
Medication is not always the answer when it comes to positive mental health and addiction. Many times, doctors will prescribe medications that help with anxiety, depression and other mental disorders, as well as drug or alcohol addiction. However, holistic, alternative therapy is a unique and successful way to fight addiction and mental health disorders. If you're interested in learning more about our holistic treatment, contact us now.
Legacy Freedom | Drug Rehab Charlotte NC
There is always help for substance abuse when you need it. Just trust Legacy Freedom. our drug treatment options aren't like the rest. You'll find that our customized programs are geared toward the individual needs of addicts, as no two are the same.
If you’re suffering from an addiction and need help, consider drug rehab in Charlotte NC. Addiction isn’t something that you can beat easily. Often times it requires extensive rehab and support. Legacy Freedom is here to offer both to you, when you’re ready. Addiction can leave you feeling sad, lonely, and angry. You are not alone. Legacy Freedom is here to help you get back on track to a happier, healthy, drug free life. Call today to learn more.