Knowing how to help our loved ones when they're addicted to drugs is hard. It might be one of the most difficult things we will ever face. However, just imagine how hard it is for the one addicted. Could you imagine? Probably not. A chemical dependency on a substance is something that can't be understood unless it's happened to you.
When Our Loved Ones Are Addicted | Drug Rehab in Charlotte NC
There are ways to help our loved ones with an addiction. Even if we can't understand why they formed an addiction, we can still support them and offer the help they need. Below, you'll find a recap of ideas that you can use while reaching out to your addicted loved one. Keep in mind that oftentimes, drug rehab in Charlotte NC is the only way to find recovery. If you need further assistance with learning more, contact our facility now.
- Stop enabling. Say no when they need money, never let them borrow your car, or whatever it is that they need or want. Giving in to their needs and wants prolongs the addiction. It only delays them from getting the help that they really need.
- Have an interventionist help. It might take a lot of time and effort to get an addict to become receptive to treatment. Having professional help can improve the effectiveness of an intervention.
- Research all intervention options. Sometimes families can't afford the fees for a professional to come in and help. When this is the case, start researching TV shows, look for videos on youtube and put together your own intervention. Assign roles, elect a leader, and be sure that each person involved has strict instructions on how to handle the situations that may arise. Make sure the intervention is controlled. Only one person should talk at a time. It's a good idea to assign times and speeches. Talking all at once, in random order might scare the addict into leaving. Make an outline and stick with it. Rehearse the intervention before putting it into action.
- Offer to pay for the treatment, if possible. Most addicts don't have the money to spend on rehabilitation. Even when insurance might pay for part of their treatment, they likely still won't have enough money. If it's possible to split the cost of the stay among loved ones, that might be just the push they need in the right direction. Addicts often know they need help but might not realize that it could actually happen. They need all the help they can get; mentally, financially, and physically.
- Have treatment options ready and available. If the rehab stay is already set and ready, addicts have less opportunity to back out. If you have all the facts on hand they're more likely to listen. It's best to be equipped with treatment possibilities, transportation arrangements and stay accommodations. If your loved one is certain that all they have to do is show up, the chances of them doing so are greater.
Following these tips will help you deal with a loved one. It's going to be difficult. But, with the right support from family and friends, as well as a drug rehab in Charlotte NC that's dedicated to helping, you can get there.
Legacy Freedom | Drug Rehab Charlotte NC
If someone you know and love is struggling with any of the symptoms above, don’t hesitate to help them get established with a drug and alcohol treatment center. Drug rehab in Charlotte might be the only chance they have at recovery. There are numerous people dealing with addiction in the world, so it's important to understand you aren't alone. Contact Legacy Freedom if you're interested in our outpatient rehab therapy that doesn't interfere with your daily life of work or school. We are here to help you get back on track to a healthier, happier life.