Summertime is a great season for relaxing, having fun, and spending time with friends and family. However, many times events and activities include alcohol. Don’t worry though, we are here to help you plan your summer fun without having to worry about substance abuse. The following ideas will help you have an awesome time while staying sober and free from triggers for possible relapse. Are you searching for a drug and alcohol treatment center in Asheville NC you can trust in 2018? Call Legacy Freedom today.
- Trivia night is a fun past time. However, many trivia events are held at bars or places where alcohol is served. Instead of venturing out for a night of trivia, invite your friends over to have trivia night at home.
- Take time to organize your home. Chances are you have a closet or two out of sorts or you need to re-organize your clothes drawers. Whatever it is that needs to be cleaned out and organized, schedule time to do this during summer. Instead of spring cleaning have summertime cleaning.
- While you are deep cleaning and organizing your home, consider redecorating or rearranging. Go from room to room and switch out decor. Then, rearrange the furniture. This is a fun and inexpensive way to change things up without having to purchase new decorations.
- Dinner parties are a fun way to get friends together for a night of fellowship and good food. You can plan to fix the entire meal yourself or have a potluck. Either way, it will be fun and delicious. Make sure to let your friends know that there will be no alcohol involved. You could serve mocktails instead to put a sober spin on regular cocktails.
- Plan a spa day. Invite a few friends to come with you and relax. If you aren't up for a trip to the spa, you can have a masseuse come to your home or set up a specialist for mani and pedi hour. Also consider doing DIY facials, manicures, pedicures, and more.
- Have an outdoor adventure. Choose a waterfall or hiking trail that you can conquer over a weekend. Invite a friend or two or some family members to join you. In western North Carolina, there are many gorgeous waterfalls and hiking trails around the area. You could make a waterfall and hiking bucket list for the summer and try to tackle each one on the list over the course of the entire summer. This is a great way to challenge yourself and try new things!
- Plan a romantic getaway with your significant other. Sometimes, getting away for a long weekend is the best way to relax and rejuvenate. If you have friends or family who are planning events or parties with alcohol the summer, you’ll need to avoid them if you’re unable to face alcohol. Planning a getaway will be a great way to decline the invitation without having to explain your situation. We know how difficult it can be explain your alcohol abuse issues to friends or family who may not know about it. If you’re not yet ready, plan something else on the weekend in question.
- As we mentioned above, making a bucket list for the summer is a great way to challenge yourself to do new things. It’s also a great way to have sober fun without having to worry about being around alcohol. Make a list of all the things you'd like to try this summer. It could be reading a new book, learning more about photography, taking an art class, eating at specific restaurants, or taking a cooking class. Whatever it is that you think might be interesting to you, add it to the list. Then try one thing per week.
- Host your own alcohol free party. No one says you can’t hang out with your friends and family this summer just because they prefer to partake in alcohol. Have a sober party that they can come to and know that alcohol won’t be a part of. It’ll be a great way to catch up with friends and family without feeling triggered. Let them know upfront that you’re not going to have alcohol at the party, they will understand or choose not to attend.
- If you love to read, consider organizing a book club. You and your book club members can meet once or twice a month to discuss novels you choose to read. You can also plan your meetings to include dinner. Whether you take turns providing a meal or choose to meet at a restaurant, it’ll be fun fellowship.
We hope these things help you have a fun and sober summer without having to worry about alcohol. If you’re interested in learning more, be sure to check back with our next blog post. We will talk more about how you can have fun this summer without alcohol.
The Best Drug and Alcohol Treatment Center in Asheville NC
If you, or your loved one, are suffering from a substance abuse problem it's time to get professional treatment. Help is always available with support from Legacy Freedom of Asheville. However, all addicts are different. No two are the same. That's why you should contact our facility. We offer tailored rehab treatment for all addicts.
Sometimes, professional Asheville drug treatment or rehab is the only way to rise above addiction and heroin use. Legacy Freedom offers tailored treatments that help the direct needs of each of our patients. Support structures are a vital part of all recovery ventures. Several of our therapies occur in a group setting, surrounding you with the support you need to get back on the right path. It’s important to consider getting help, especially during the turn of the season when you aren’t sure how the weather might affect your recovery.
Contact Legacy Freedom to learn about how our alcohol and drug rehab in Asheville NC is tailored to fit your needs so that you're able to learn how to rejoin life drug free. We also offer a medication assisted treatment (MAT) program for people struggling with opiate addiction. MAT can be used in combination with intensive outpatient programs for substance abuse. Call now to learn more about our drug and alcohol treatment center in Asheville NC.