The long, hot days of summer are here. We are sure you are spending much more time outdoors enjoying the season. Cooking on the grill, hanging out with friends, and maybe a few fireworks are an awesome way to spend the summer months. For many, this is also a time to enjoy cold drinks as well. Unfortunately, when those cold drinks involve alcohol things can become dangerous. Overindulging in sun and alcohol have more in common than you think. Drinking alcohol and being out in the sun for a long period of time both affect the body. When you combine alcohol with the sun this can become a more dangerous situation for you. If you have a drinking problem, Legacy can help. Call us today and ask about our Columbus OH alcohol rehab options.
Lying out at the pool all day combined with indulging in a few too many alcoholic beverages can cause a multitude of problems. There are some dangerous risks to drinking alcohol in extreme heat situations. This post will look at what those risks might be.
- Dehydration is one of the serious side effects that can come from getting too much sun and drinking alcoholic beverages. This is because alcohol is a diuretic. If you are out in the hot sun sweating, your body will attempt to cool you off by producing more sweat. When you sweat more, your body loses fluids. Ingesting a diuretic like alcohol will cause you to lose important fluids from your body much more quickly.
- Heat stroke is another dangerous side effect of too much sun and alcohol. In the hotter than normal temperatures of summer this is a risk for anyone who is outdoors for an extended amount of time. If you are drinking alcohol at the same time, your body cannot regulate temperature. Heat stroke can occur very rapidly. There will be some things you will want to watch for. When your body loses too much water and sodium cramps can occur. These are called heat cramps. A more serious condition is heat exhaustion. This is caused by dehydration of the body. When these two things have taken place, a heat stroke will come on very quickly. Heat stroke can lead to organ failure and shock. Often a person is not aware that they are rapidly losing consciousness.
- Car accidents are another real risk that comes from too much sun and drinking. When the weather is beautiful most people will want to take some sort of vacation or trip. Along with a more relaxed time comes drinking and often driving. It is really important to never drink and drive. If you are at a party and know someone has been drinking too much alcohol offer to take them home or have them spend the night so that they, and other drivers, remain safe. If you are the person who has overindulged have a designated driver or call a taxi.
- Boating accidents are another summertime problem, especially when alcohol is involved. Statistics show that nearly 1/3 of boating deaths come from alcohol use. Drinking alcohol reduces one’s ability to accurately judge and properly operate larger machinery such as a boat.
- Drowning is also more likely when drinking large amounts of alcohol combined with a day in the sun. Both of these reduce coordination and make you tired. This means there are many risks associated with being in the water such as passing out and drowning.
Most people also do not realize that alcohol and many drugs will cause the skin to be extra sensitive to the effects of the sun. This applies to many over the counter medications as well as opioids and harder drugs. The body's ability to cool itself can be hampered by alcohol and drugs. Always read the side effects of all over the counter medications to look for sun sensitivity. If you are drinking alcohol and are in the sun for the day take precautions to keep yourself safe. To beat addiction of any kind, call Legacy Freedom. Our holistic Columbus OH alcohol rehab and drug treatment can help you.
Drinking while enjoying the sun can cause you to forget to apply and reapply your sunscreen. Because your body is more dehydrated sunburn is more likely to occur. If you end up with a large sunburned area this makes perspiration harder for your body. When the body cannot perspire properly heat exhaustion and heat stroke can occur. To prevent this from happening to you make sure you apply your sunscreen liberally and as often as needed. You also must remain diligent about hydrating yourself properly and getting out of the sun if needed. The shade can be fun as well!
We cannot stress enough that operating a motor vehicle of any kind while drinking is dangerous. In the US, 0.08 is considered legally drunk. Even at a 0.02 level you are impaired, at 0.05 this negative effect will increase. This means even after 2.5 drinks you will have less balance, judgment, and coordination. The heat of the sun will only intensify these effects. Accidents of all kinds can and will increase and you may injure yourself and others. Legacy Freedom offers the best Columbus OH alcohol rehab. Call now to learn more.
Summer is for having fun, relaxing, and enjoying time with friends and family. Use precautions to stay safe and well. Keep an eye on the amount of sun and alcohol you are consuming. Watch out for your friends and loved ones as well. No matter what, never let alcohol, the sun, or a combination of the two bring your summer to a quick close. Be responsible and help keep bad accidents from occurring. If you feel you need help with your alcohol or substance abuse problems get help.
Holistic Columbus OH Alcohol Rehab
Our team at Legacy of Columbus truly cares about you. We understand how difficult this can be for anyone who has struggled with addiction. At our drug and alcohol rehabilitation center, we focus on the patient’s well-being, always working to determine what triggers them to use and what we can do to help. Put your trust in us and we’ll help you get on the right path to recovery with Columbus OH alcohol rehab options you can trust.