Life is full of stressful events. Whether it is the loss of a job or a loved one, the unraveling of a relationship or the end of a marriage, or happier events like the birth of a child, the purchase of a new home, or marrying your college sweetheart, dealing with this stress can be difficult. As a result, some people begin to experience a change in their emotional or behavioral patterns. This is known as an adjustment disorder. Adjustment disorders are usually temporary and will resolve as soon as the stressor is removed.
Psychological, and occasionally physical, symptoms can result from the inability to process and cope with the event. Typically, the disorder lasts from three to six months and can be managed with therapy and learned coping techniques. Knowing the signs and symptoms of adjustment disorders can help you know whether what you are feeling is overwhelming stress or if you are experiencing something a little more serious.
Adjustment disorders can manifest with physical and psychological symptoms. Below you'll find the most common symptoms. If you're searching for affordable therapists in Charlotte, NC, call Legacy!
- Lack of self-esteem
- Frequent heartburn or digestive problems
- Inability to focus
- Constant crying or weeping
- Increased fatigue
- Feelings of sadness, being trapped or hopelessness
- Reckless or rebellious behavior
- Chronic body pain, stiffness, soreness
- Impulsive spending
- Withdrawing from friends and family
- Muscle twitches and trembling
- Thoughts of suicide
Observing these signs and symptoms in yourself or a loved one can be frightening. Legacy Freedom can help you learn to cope with stress in your life. We understand that life changes and uncertainty are cause for worry and concern. Our holistic approach to mental health care focuses on you, not your adjustment disorder. Together with your care team, you'll create a customized treatment plan focused on your needs and interests. Utilizing alternative therapies like acupuncture, aromatherapy, yoga and meditation, our clinicians help you learn to cope and process your current stressors and any underlying issues like depression, PTSD or anxiety. Traditional talk therapy plays a major role in your healing journey. One-on-one sessions with our therapists allow you to identify your thoughts, feelings, and worries precisely. Group therapy lets you find support in your peers and make connections for healing outside our outpatient facility. None of this is possible without nurturing your body and repairing physical ailments. Our dietician and physical therapist work with you to ensure you are receiving proper nutrition and manage your physical pain through movement and exercise.
Stress and life changes affect everyone differently. Reaching out for help and support during these tumultuous times in your life does not make you weak. Anyone can develop an adjustment disorder at any point in their life. Learning to manage your stress and learning new coping skills to get you through these changes is important. Try these tips for boosting your mood when feeling stressed:
- Exercise - Mood-boosting endorphins are released with as little as 30 minutes of walking. Take advantage of the summer sun and hit the pool, walk in the park or take a hike.
- Get a Massage - Turning off your phone and unplugging from the world for an hour can do wonders for your stress level. If you are experiencing pain with your adjustment disorder, massage may be able to provide some relief.
- Do Something You Enjoy - Take a long drive with the windows down, attend a painting class, or a concert in the park. Rediscover an old hobby or learn a new one.
- Meet Up with a Friend - Been out of touch for awhile? Reconnect for a chat and a cup of coffee.
Be sure to read part two by clicking here.
Qualified Therapists in Charlotte, NC
The important thing to remember is that adjustment disorder is a temporary condition. Let Legacy Freedom of Charlotte help you learn to manage your stress and move on to the better days ahead. Call or click today to speak with highly qualified therapists in Charlotte, NC at Legacy!